What height is your flat screen TV?

Page 3 of 3

I wasn't killed, but I did need surgery because of my flat screen.
I was getting ready to mount it on the wall and realized that needed to run out to get some toggle bolts. I didn't want to leave the TV on the floor just in case the dogs got curious, so I put one hand on the bottom and one on the top to lift it onto the couch.
It felt like an electric shock went through my arm. The tendon popped off of my elbow and rolled up into my upper arm. I had surgery the next week to reattach it to my elbow. I'm pretty active and had never had any trouble lifting things, even much heavier things, before. I guess it was just the position of my arm or just a freak thing.
I did manage, with the help of my son, to get it mounted that day even though I had limited use of one arm.
On 12/16/2013 10:49 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I think all flat screens should have warning labels. "DO NOT LIFT FROM BOTTOM WITH ONE ARM" Manufacturers should be required to put handles on the top and have cushions if they fall over. In addition, every set ever made should be recalled and retrofitted with these important safety devices. Its for the children.
TimR wrote:

Hi, New ones are so light and thin those days are over maybe. But little toddlers can get hurt.
clipped

Our living room gets most use when kids and grandkids visit....there are no "tots" in the group...and TV is secondary. It is more likely someone will find a video on a tablet or phone to share then. One consideration is the layout and traffic pattern of the LR, and the other is that I like to rearrange the LR now and then. The LR is long, with front door on one long side and archway to DR on the other long wall, so those complicate it. Other than preferring to have pictures hanging on the wall, once in place we are stuck with a wall-hung TV unless we want to patch and repaint or? We have a smaller TV in guest bedroom and plan to make a "man cave" (girls allowed) in the basement....area for TV, board games, etc. We acquired five step-grandkids last year, so our family has growth spurts of rather large people to fit into our home :o)
On 12/16/13 8:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A local mechanic claims there is nothing more permanent than temporary.

The way I've always used the line was...
It's only temporary...unless it works.

I wonder how people watch the monster-size TVs...you would have to be a certain distance away from them or your field of vision could not focus on the entire screen. Yuck!
On 12/16/2013 6:51 AM, Norminn wrote:

Do you remember the old black and white TV? I remember Mom had me sit back at least six feet because of the radiation that came out of it.
Just imagine, the modern generation getting brain damage from the radiation. They won't be able to calculate change at a cash register, for example.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I think you are right. If it is too low for her, get her a high chair.
On 12/15/2013 08:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Mine is higher. The bottom of the TV is at the height of my head when I'm sitting down to watch TV. I didn't plan it that way. That's the height of the old record cabinet I'm using as a TV stand. I think lower (as you say) would be worse (especially with a big cat in my lap).
--
9 days until The winter celebration (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00
AM for 1 day).
On 12/15/2013 08:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Mine is higher. The bottom of the TV is at the height of my head when I'm sitting down to watch TV. I didn't plan it that way. That's the height of the old record cabinet I'm using as a TV stand. I think lower (as you say) would be worse (especially with a big cat in my lap).
--
9 days until The winter celebration (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00
AM for 1 day).

Mine ended up at the height suggested above purely by accident. The stand I bought for it put it at that height. I chose the stand because it was on sale and I'm cheap, er, frugal.