Flat Screen (OT?)

No - unless she presses too hard. At which point, various things from a pixel or two failing, to the glass cracking (she'd have to work at it).

Reply to
Ian Stirling

It's not the best thing to do. However, we've got 200-odd of the things in various student PC labs (Imperial College) and they've survived, which is quite amazing considering how ham fisted some people are.

Timbo

Reply to
Tim S

I am hoping that Santa will bring me a LCD monitor now that my wife has got one at work. She thinks it is great - particularly when she pokes it and get rainbow effects (Aaargh). I suggested this was probably damaging - Is it?

Reply to
John

200 in one place - what an excellent test. How many of them have dead pixels?
Reply to
Ben

What fascinates me is that when I press it display variation makes my brain think that the screen is soft! Is it just me soft in the head or does anyone else get the same illusion?

Reply to
Broadback

Well - difficult - we don't have time to inspect them all over any period of time. What I will say is we get various makes after some evaluation. The evaluation units generally have no dead or stuck pixels (which is much worse than a dead one IMO) - if they do, we don't buy that brand. In theory we would send back a unit under warrenty if it did develop even a 1 pixel fault - but we'd have to notice first.

No-one been complaining though...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

LOL here I am prodding my Sony LCD just to double check, I always thought it was soft. Oops!

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I know they are much smaller, but recent Sony camcorders have flat screens which are meant to be pressed. There's simply no other way of navigating the menu. I've found that a sharp nail press is much better than a soft finger tip. In my case, the screen doesn't appear to suffer too badly from finger grease. (Can't see it in strong light, but so what, who needs to change a menu item in strong light!)

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

What do you mainly use at Imperial? At UCL we almost exclusively use Dell flat panels in the newer areas, and Dell CRTs in the older ones - from what I'm told this is more due to reliabilty than a good £££ with Dell.

Alex

Reply to
Alex