What channels did you lose?

Page 1 of 2
So you got your converter box. Maybe you even upgraded your antenna. Then the DTV switch came. What channels did you lose?
Me? Just CBS. No big loss. :) I'm not sure if all the new wacky foreign-language channels make up for it. I live on a hill top 20 miles from the transmission towers. Others must be in lousy shape.
mike wrote: ...

All of them, for the most part.
Interestingly enough, the morning after _the_big_switch_ a rescan found all three networks plus the PBS that had disappeared after _witching_day_1_ so all seemed well. That was roughly 8-9AM, played for a few minutes switching back and forth and turned it off.
At 6-ish PM for local news/weather, nada/zip/nothing except the one network that had also made the earlier switch that had been receiving well. It was barely strong enough to lock w/ a lot of drop out and audio near useless.
Been that way since...no weather to foul up the antenna, so I've no real clue as to why seemed ok initially and then went away. Neither, apparently, do the stations who have received similar complaints I gather from quite a sizable number.
40-60 mile range, flat country...
dpb wrote:

Nothing changed here, I still have the same two stations and six channels I've had for the past year and a half.

I didn't lose any,gained several,along with subchannels. One subchannel is worthwhile,all older movies,and fewer commercials. I'm using a homemade coathanger wire quad bowtie from plans on Make TV.Cost $5,has excellent signal levels,even indoors in a stucco/mesh building.
Some stations had troubles during the switchoff; Local Ch.2(NBC) was unwatchable for the first several hours,but cleared up once they fixed something.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Where exactly is this antenna plan? Link? Any plans for a decent attic mount one?

http://cachefly.oreilly.com/make/television/04/DTV_Antenna_FINAL.pdf
you can build this,mount it on a PVC pipe for swiveling,and put it in the attic.(provided you don't have a metal roof!) ;-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I built the same one just for the heck of it since I have cable. I wanted to see what was available if the cable was out (it has been known to happen.
I got the major networks and a couple of indies. I did not get any PBS stations. Most of the stations I did get are 40-50 miles away. Nice flat Florida terrain.
Charlie

I'm just north of Orlando/Winter Park,and I get PBS Ch.15 WDSC from Daytona Beach,and PBS WMFE Ch.24 in Orlando. 18.2(WKCF subchannel) is "This Network",shows older movies,it's pretty good.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I posted the first time on "transition" day. I just tried again and get two PBS stations along with 3 or 4 substations for each. I am just south of Sarasota so I get most stations from Tampa/St.Pete and Fort Myers.
Surprisingly, or not, I picked up two analog stations. One is Hispanic and the other religious. Both are snowy and obviously are in the category of low power stations that did not need to go digital.
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

Is anyone receiving more channels with quality content, or just more infomercials, more Reverend Ike types looking for money, more canned inexpensive to produce/buy useless content from major networks to fill in sub channels when they found out what they promised was too expensive for the bean counters?
In the NYC metro area with the exception of PBS stations, I'm seeing sub channels populated with sub par programming by WNBC (because it is cheap to buy), infomercials 24x7, more preachers begging for money in different languages on each sub channel, Mindless non stop Anime cartoons 24x7, WOR and WNYW xmitting each others stations in SD on sub channels, poor quality NYC traffic cams with terrible audio.
What I'd like to see is local content shows (NYC stations think nothing out side the 5 boroughs is worthwhile unless it's an ax murder), real local weather coverage rather than mass marketed regional weather, shows that take advantage of local talent and activities would be a good start.
I don't need another bamboo steamer, thanks. Please no more political left or right talking heads.

I get one subchannel that I watch a lot;18.2(WKCF sub). It's "This Network",and they run older movies and it seems,fewer commercial interruptions. Only problem is,they don't keep the electronic program guide up to date,and it's hard to find out what's on and when. If I remember,I check Titan TV online. (but can't print anything from it,because they only like IE)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's one of the best!

LXTV and New York Non-Stop (both 4-2) and NYC-TV (25) don't count?

I don't think an ax murder is important enough. Haven't you seen the poster with NYC on one end, a great big gap (desert), and then LA. Turn it upside down and you have the LA view of the US.

What does that mean? Is it going to rain on your block today, that sort of thing?

But all of TV is local (to NYC) talent. OK maybe a few come from LA. I can't walk the dog without running into a film crew taking up valuable parking space.

snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.gov wrote:

LXTV and NY non stop is a poor substitute for the originally announced programming. Meaningless canned light fare meant to take up bandwidth for a low cost. Do they have anything on 4-2 that doesn't rerun the same day within a 4 hour time frame? I have better sources for bars with good shagging than NY non stop, thanks anyhow.
NYC-TV wasn't bad until they started having money problems and went into a rerun spiral.

You got that right

No.. more like cause and effect.. send a camera crew or use freelance footage of weather damage thru out the coverage area, rather than keeping it choked down to within 45 minutes drive time into Manhattan. The viewers not only come from the boroughs but 70 air miles away from ESB.. eastern LI, the southern edge of Sullivan county, eastern edge of PA, etc.

TV newscasts are all about quantity rather than quality. If they can get 10 stories covered in 10 minutes with less than 60 percent wrong and less than 4 technical failures it's a good show. No details, told to go to their website for further information.. go there and try to wade thru the kaos they call a web site and rarely ever find what you were looking for. Use a sub channel to give us the details with time taken for accuracy. Trained, educated, experienced newscasters that know how to present a story replaced with know nothing pretty boys and girls fresh off the street.. and the lack of knowledge of the region and misinformation conveyed shows in the broadcasts.. but hey they work cheap. Wrong video clips played at wrong time, bad mikes, out of control robo cameras, wrong story at wrong time. We are talking about network flagship stations.. not some college or high school A/V class.

I've learnt a few things such as how to fold a fitted sheet and I love TMI. It's hilarious. (TMI is the one with the 3 girls talking mainly about dating and etiquette, like can you wear white to a wedding if you're not the bride.)

Apparently they're coming back for a new season. I was talking to one of their workers just yesterday.
Jim Yanik wrote:

That link won't open in Firefox, for me at least. I finally got around to opening it in IE, and it came up.
-- aem sends...

I use Opera,and I'm discovering that many sites only work properly with IE.
That SUCKS,because IE sucks.
Whar version of Firefox are you using?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

3, set up to automagically update, so I assume I'm current.
-- aem sends...

Hmm,it opened OK in Firefox 1.0.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It opened fine here (Firefox / Foxit Reader).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Yeah, I got some new channels, too. That is a good thing, because I cannot bring myself to pay for TV (or parking).
You must live very close to the transmission towers. I had to install a huge antenna 10 ft. above my roof. The attic antenna wasn't cutting it.