What can I get out of Pella?

Page 1 of 3

Hi,
I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block, extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true). Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when it's mid 50's out.
What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most I can go for here?
Thanks,
Aaron

If you expect anything more than a corrected window, you will need a good lawyer. My guess is that even with a lawyer, you won't prevail, and most good lawyers won't even take your case.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:05:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote Re Re: What can I get out of Pella?:

+1 on that.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Was it their mistake, REALLY, or the fault of whoever did the measuring and provided the specs?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Their mistake, REALLY. Why would you do that, Pella employee?
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:32:08 -0500, Aaron Fude wrote:

Sounds as if you will have a bay window to sell on Craigslist to help with the heating bills to me. I would have sent the crew home after the measurment of the window that didn't fit myself. That's just me though. Cheap!
Aaron Fude wrote:

In that case plead your case pointing out all the NEGATIVE free publicity you are giving them on the internet. But first get past the drone at the low level who answers the phone. Or go to the local outlet. BUT you better have a copy of the piece of paper you provided with the dimensions

Negative publicity? He already said that Pella readily agreed to make him a new window. Sounds like a great company that does the right thing. Some companies would have just told him that the mistake wasn't theirs, and left it at that. He's not hurting Pella in the least here.
So far, Pella looks very good and the original poster looks like someone out to try and take advantage of a situation.
On Nov 23, 1:39pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I have had trouble with Pella before. I ordered a door to fit an 85 inch opening and the door came in 83 inches and the expander was too short. Called and talked to represenative she stated for a 85 inch door it would be 83-13/16 high. Ordered door it came in 83 same as before. They custom make but will deduct from sizes to what they have. Was at big box store and he could not explain the trouble so we just made the door smaller to stop the problems. Pella did not charge for the extra doors that were wrong.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:39:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

If they were sent the right dimensions, it hardly makes them great that they will make the right thing after they've made the wrong thing.
If it did, wouldn't it make the companies that make the right thing on the first try even greater?
So being great isn't very good when others are greater.

Now read the rest of what I worte, below...

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:00:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

And those companies would be disgusting, not even as good as average.

Take advantage? He's lost money. He just wants to be reimbursed.
(Yes, besides what he paid the crew, he got a night at a hotel, but most people would rather have that treat out of town. And also had the hole in his house in January, instead of tte fall.)
Were it not for the contract he most likely signed, he'd have an argument. The only thing that might ruin his case is that they woudl say he should have checked the order when it came in, instead of waiting until that morning.

He doesn't have even a glimmer of a case.
If he does, then Pella should counter-sue for the extra materials need to make the bigger window.
mm wrote:

FWIW- when I stopped in the Pella storefront here, with a list of nominal dimensions, their sales rep said they would only sell if their guy came out and measured, presumably to avoid situations like thise. I assume they waive that rule for actual contractors they have worked with before.
No, I didn't buy, but not because of that. It was because the swag 'cost per opening' figures they quoted scared me to death. Guess they gotta pay for those storefronts and huge newspaper ads somehow. Shame, because the windows looked to be good quality.
-- aem sends...

If YOU give the dimensions you need to be VERY sure you are talking the same language as the window company. Surest way to get the right size is to give maximum rough opening dimensions (which is a bit hard with the original window still installed unless you have done quite a few before. Pullint the interior trim will give you a good idea how the original is built, so you can calculate the rough opening from the inside finished dimension.
Had a salesman at a window shop where I worked for a while several years ago that mismeasured at least 15% of his windows - he didn't last long. The company "ate" every one of those - not the manufacturer.
If they will make you a new window that fits, and get it to you QUICK, that's about all you can ask.
If THEY did the measurement, you might try for something like a 10% discount. That's about it.

It was your choice to have a crew idling around. It was your choice to stay at a hotel.
Pella is making you a new window. Take the new window and shut up and grow up.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:39:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

They did the same to me. I ordered a stock bay window and the stated rough opening was totally wrong. I made the opening 4" too narrow, but it was THEIR measurements I used.

I priced windows from a local company which manufacturers and installs. I said I might install them myself. They said they get SO many wrong measurements from do-it-yourselfers that they'd stop by to check my measurements AT NO CHARGE just to save everyone some aggravation.
It was perfectly reasonable to theorize that your measurements might've been off.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I recently replaced a panel from my storm door. When I discovered the price difference between the cost of a pane of tempered and the cost of a pane of tempered installed into a frame, I elected to install the pane myself.
When I showed up to order the pane, they said they could measure it for me. I didn't see as to how this was necessary , as I had measured it *very* carefully, and had allowed for the proper glazing depth and such.
Since it was free, however, I decided to let them meausre it anyway.
As it turned out, their measurement was 1/16" different than my measurement along one axis. When I got the frame home I measured it again, and found that I should have still been correct.
Then I had one of those "a ha" moments and instead of just measuring the frame in the center, I measured it in the center and also along the edges.
What I discovered was that the frame was out of square on one axis by about 1/16". I hadn't thought to check this, but the guy at the glass shop did as a matter of course.
Lesson learned.
Jon

Good thinking on his part, since storm doors seem to be designed according to theories which were popular with Dali.
http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~micheles/scheme/module-system-talk/salvador-dali-clock.jpg