What are the maximum dimensions for a house that you would like to move?

I am considering moving a house to some land we own. My question is,how big a house can I move? Strangely enough, I have had a very difficult time getting a house mover to give me some solid numbers! Of course,they always say it is easier to move a ranch, but beyond that, they start hemming and hawing. They will say something like, "Well it is expensive to cut up a two story" or "the roadways are about 25ft wide" or, "well, the route is determined by the DOT which is out of our control so it depends on that". Well, there must be some dimensions that are considered reasonable! I understand the fact that a two story is too high, but how about a cape cod that is 1 1/2 stories? Does anyone have a rough idea of what width, length, and height(from sill to roof peak) is reasonable?

Thanks,

Reply to
David Miller

It really does depend on the roads and clearances and permitting -- I've seen a 3-1/2 story house moved whole when there was room to do it. I suspect you really will need to get very specific with the movers before they will say your idea is reasonable or not.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

Anything over 13' means taking down overhead wires, and going around underpasses, etc. But there really isn't a physical limit. They move lighthouses, after all. (Not very far, but still...) Is there some reason why you want to keep the details of which house, and from where to where, a secret from the people you're asking to do the job?

Reply to
default

Its possible to move very large buildings short distances. As the length of the move increases so do the conflicts with wires and other obstacles. Small homes are much easier to move very far. Sometimes a large building can be moved in pieces.

Reply to
Pat

It sounds like you have called a few movers with general questions. They aren't about to give you -any- useable answers without actually looking at the house and the route. The same answer applies to asking here on the 'net. Call a couple and have them give you an actual bid.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

When my grandparents were still around, they moved a church 1.5 miles to their subdivision. Granted it was a small church that would eventually become a chappel for the main church. But they did have to have overhead wires taken down along the route. That antique church that they moved (and my grandfather) were in a Ford truck magazine ad.

It all depends upon what you want to pay, and assuming possible risk for repairs if something comes apart. I imagine you may need to pay someone for a quote, because it could take hours of their time to figure out all the details of the move.

Reply to
David Efflandt