Well over flowing

Hi, We have a well out at the cabin. When I remove the well cap to Chlorine shock as usual, water gushed out and started over flowing since. If I open a water tap, the over flowing slows down. Is something wrong with our well? Do I leave the cap open or force it closed? I don't know much about water wells. BTW, this is not a source for our drinking water. Any suggestions/comment appreciated. TIA, Tony
Tony,
Your pump, holding tank, and household plumbing make a pressurized system. Taking off this cap is like opening a faucet, water flows out. As the water flows out the pressure in the system drops. At some point the pump comes on. So turn the pump off and the water will stop gushing out but you may lose the prime on your well. So have a couple of gallons of water just in case. Are you sure of the location of the pump and any check valves? You can't shock a well if there is a valve blocking the path where you intend to pour the chlorine.
Dave M.
David Martel wrote:

Pump is in the well deep down. There is thick wires going down there. So I need to shut off the pump when I open the cap? Thanks, Tony
You have an ARTESIAN WELL ! High water table will force the water out of the well cap. (Pascals Law?) Some times this type of well will stop flowing and sometimes well...... it doesn't.
Tony Hwang wrote:

David Martel wrote:

Sorry but that is wrong. Wells in a standard system are not part of the pressurized system. He has an artesian well, i.e., the aquifer his well tapped has enough pressure to force the water to the surface. That may be a seasonal condition or year round. Taking that cap off should have no effect at all in his pressurized system.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

One thing, this area is called 7 springs. Historically never suffered drought.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Okay, that explains it. You -do- have an artesian well and the overflow with the cap off is quite normal.
Harry K
Tony Hwang wrote:

If you don't drink that water why use chlorine? I am assuming you don't use the water for cooking either...
According to the guy who takes care of my well, chlorine can damage some of the parts inside the pump and he doesn't use any. We don't drink, nor cook with, the warer from the well.
As for your question, I would start from cutting the electricity off before doing anything. As someone else said, have a couple of gallon jugs full of water ready to prime when you're done.
Carpenter wrote:

My idae was to minimize the effect of iron bacteria. I just use this water for watering plants, and bath room which flushes out to a holding tank which is dumped twice a year.
Carpenter wrote:

Errm...he said he has the pump in the well. No need to prime.
Harry K
This is most truly an artisian well you don,t need to put chlorine in it as it is fine without it if it is hard get a softner. The water coming out the top is perfectly normal don,t do anything to it let it be when it stops put the cover on. Harry K wrote: