We have a well out at the cabin. When I remove the well cap to Chlorine
shock as usual, water gushed out and started over flowing since.
If I open a water tap, the over flowing slows down. Is something wrong
with our well? Do I leave the cap open or force it closed? I don't know
much about water wells. BTW, this is not a source for our drinking
water. Any suggestions/comment appreciated.
Your pump, holding tank, and household plumbing make a pressurized
system. Taking off this cap is like opening a faucet, water flows out. As
the water flows out the pressure in the system drops. At some point the pump
comes on. So turn the pump off and the water will stop gushing out but you
may lose the prime on your well. So have a couple of gallons of water just
Are you sure of the location of the pump and any check valves? You can't
shock a well if there is a valve blocking the path where you intend to pour
You have an ARTESIAN WELL ! High water table will force the water
out of the well cap. (Pascals Law?) Some times this type of well will
stop flowing and sometimes well...... it doesn't.
Tony Hwang wrote:
Sorry but that is wrong. Wells in a standard system are not part of
the pressurized system. He has an artesian well, i.e., the aquifer his
well tapped has enough pressure to force the water to the surface.
That may be a seasonal condition or year round. Taking that cap off
should have no effect at all in his pressurized system.
If you don't drink that water why use chlorine? I am assuming you don't
use the water for cooking either...
According to the guy who takes care of my well, chlorine can damage
some of the parts inside the pump and he doesn't use any. We don't
drink, nor cook with, the warer from the well.
As for your question, I would start from cutting the electricity off
before doing anything. As someone else said, have a couple of gallon
jugs full of water ready to prime when you're done.
This is most truly an artisian well you don,t need to put chlorine in
it as it is fine without it if it is hard get a softner. The water
coming out the top is perfectly normal don,t do anything to it let it
be when it stops put the cover on. Harry K wrote:
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.