Weedwhacker string problems

I bought a new electric weedwhacker last fall on a closeout sale. I finally used it today, and it started out working well, but then the string kept breaking off INSIDE the string holder (whatever that is called). Anyhow, I have to keep taking off that cover over the string and pulling out more string. After that, I whack for a minute or less and the string breaks again. I am spending more time fixing the string than whacking weeds. (This is the original factory string, and was would at the factory, so it should be the right string and wound properly on the spool).
One thing I noticed is that the string is sticking to itself inside the spool. It's like it slightly melted together in spots. It pulls apart easily, but it seems to me that this is not right, and is likely what is causing the problem. Once again, this is FROM THE FACTORY, so I it should be installed properly......
Since I bought it last fall, I doubt there is any warranty coverage, or if there is, I'll have to drive 50 miles to get it taken care of, which I am not willing to do at todays gas prices. I'm sure there is something I can do myself, but what????? Maybe I should just replace the string??? I was wondering if it would help to spray some WD40 or other lubricant on the string... ?? ? ? ????
Thanks for all advice
Spammers will be shot with my caulking, nail, soldering, or staple gun (your choice) !
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jul 3, 1:13 pm, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Just go buy a bulk container of proper size new line and wind it up fresh. Likely the included line was old and/or substandard to begin with.
Add pictures here
βœ–

From what i remember on mine, it can take 0.80 string or smaller (. 45?) anyhoo, using bigger string broke less often. Your going to need the extra string sooner or later. might want to double check your weedwacker to see if it can take the bigger stuff. cln
Add pictures here
βœ–
cln wrote:

The gray titanium string at Lowe's seems to work pretty well. Also keep the string fed out and it won't be as apt to break. An like others have said, use the largest possible. If anyone knows of better string I'm anxious to hear.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Probably low grade line. Pickup a spool of quality profiled (hex, spline, etc.) nylon trimmer line and load it carefully. The profiled line cuts better due to the sharper edges, and the line is generally better quality as well. Even with quality line it can be a pain to load properly. There are a lot of different trimmer head designs out there and some work better than others. On the gas powered units it is usually possible to change to a different style head. On electric ones you're usually stuck with what it came with.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

I've found that technique is important.
If you let the string get short, it tends to break more easily. Keep the string as long as you can, and allow only the very tip of the string to contact the ground. The place the string tends to break is right at the exit point from the head. That's where it bends back and forth.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 13:13:06 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
OP said: One thing I noticed is that the string is sticking to itself inside the spool. It's like it slightly melted together in spots. It pulls apart easily, but it seems to me that this is not right, and is likely what is causing the problem. Once again, this is FROM THE FACTORY, so I it should be installed properly......
Don't assume that because it's from the factory that it must be right. They make mistakes in China as well as here. This sounds like the wrong size string or the string wound the wrong way.

βœ–

Good point. And since China is on the other side of the earth, things spin differently there.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Most of the manufactures have an 800 Support number. For the most part, you can usually get your problem resolved by talking to them. MLD

Add pictures here
βœ–
MLD wrote:

Just spent the morning fighting with my string trimmer in a similar fashion. I think it is a basic flaw in the concept of all roll-fed string trimmers, and they pretty much all do it to a greater or lesser degree. That is probably why all those companies hawk retrofit kits to replace the feed roll with pop-in reinforced blades.
-- aem sends, disgustedly....
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Keep it long. Try to wrap it evenly and firmly. Look for burrs on the metal eyelets in the housing spool.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
Add pictures here
βœ–