Weather station

Page 1 of 2
I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. The brand is Accurite. It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature, barometric pressure and a lot more. The problems, though, is the temperature readings. They are 4 degrees low. IMO, that makes me suspect of everything else it reads and is really about useless when it comes to a freeze warning.
I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

What was the reference you compared it to??
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, If it is always 4 deg. low, then add 4 deg. to the reading. Or there may be a procedure for calibration in the manual.

That's a good question Ed. It doesn't take much of a distance in areas for differences. Possibly you have something much more accurate that you know is in calibration?
But if it's always 4 degrees and always low, I understand your suspicions and would probably come to the same conclusion.

I compared it to three other thermometers that all read the same. One was calibrated with ice water at 32 degrees. In addition, the indoor reading was 67 while the actual was 71. At 67, my wife would have been under a blanket.
For close to $100, I don't want to have to make mental changes every glance at the temperature, plus it will be off with relative humidity and wind chill calculation that it also reads. The place the readings were taken is within inches of each other.
wrote in message

Not looking good for the Accurite.

Yep, the Accurite sounds acutely inaccurate.

In the bag/dun deal test and cal from NOAA/NWS:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/cricketconvert.shtml

That should work most of the year but the crickets tend to be quit at 5 below.
I did some searching and found a Zephyr Instrument model that is supposed to be accurate to 0.5 degrees. That is a more sensible tolerance.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

A practical solution is to use a human body temperature thermometer for calibration. While they have a very small range (~96F - 104F) of resolution, you can count on them to be accurate.
It would also be interesting to use a non-contact thermometer and hit the signal off of the sensor element of the weather station.
Jon
wrote in message

Thanks for the pointer to Zephyr brand!
Googled Zephyr Instrument. Which one were you looking at? This one caught my eye.
http://www.zephyrinstrument.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PWS-1000TB&Show=ExtInfo
Nice toy. I've always been drawn to these on display in stores. Why I dunno but never saw anything of this quality & functionality. Not 50 bucks but lots of ooo's and ahhh's for the buck.
wrote in message

http://www.zephyrinstrument.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PWS-1000TB&Show=ExtInfo
it doesn't say, but do you know if this is this wireless or wired?

Wireless. In the specifications: Wireless transmission range 330 ft max (line of site)
Wireless transmission interval every 48 seconds
Transmission Frequency 915 MHz

http://www.zephyrinstrument.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PWS-1000TB&Show=ExtInfo
I just ordered this one. I don't mind the blemish to save a lot of money.
http://www.pro-measure.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PWS%2D1000TD%2DX

Upping you one Ed.
If it was ordered through the Zephyr site, price is the same but s&h for UPS ground is free.
https://www.zephyrinstrument.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PWS-1000TD-X

You can bet I'll be emailing them today. It is shipped from the same place. DAS Distribution Inc. Zephyr Instrument Division 17 Connecticut South Drive East Granby, CT 06026
I want my $8 back!
wrote in message

Yea, the web pages for descriptions and forms are just about exactly the same.

Or just cancel and reorder. Can be done right online.
wrote in message

Ed:
By any chance have you come across the manual for it online? Be nice to go over before it arrives. Did not see it on supplier/mfgr site.
My status shows as shipped but all the UPS site says is that they received electronic shipping info but do not have the pkg yet.

No manual available on line that I can find. My order was shipped and will arrive on Monday. The shipping weight is 9 pounds. You either get a lot of stuff or a very heavy carton.
It will be a while before I can install the computer software though, my computer is going to the shop tomorrow and will be a few days. The other unit I had came with two outdoor units and the temperature sensor I put under the deck out of the direct sun. The wind and rain will go on the deck rail for now. I don't have a really good place for them without going to the roof. Tall trees on two sides, detached garage have to affect wind readings.

I was just going to get the TB without software anyway until you posted the link to the TD-X with software at a much much better price. Hope the inside unit easily clips on and off the the wall mount should I want to plug the USB cable in. I do have a long USB cable with a booster but that would be a PITA.
As far as the install, just do the best for what I have to work with. I really know nothing about these but it seems some of the temp sensors can be installed in the sun because they have a radiation barrier.
I found this about general installation recommendations but like I said, just do the best for what I have to work with.
http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Siting

Good information. No problem with the temperature and humidity sensors. I'm not so sure I want togo up on the roof for the wind though. I'll have to compromise on that.
As for the main unit, my intention was to just leave it in the familyh room, but the computer is at the other end of the house. I can dowload, but it woudl be nice to have it connected for real time stuff so I may do that.

Here's a couple of pics of the installd unit. Probably a couple of little things I could to to reduce any eyesore.
Piece of PT attached to fascia with a couple of screws to hold during install. Mast attached to PT with 4x pipe straps and 2" galv screws. 2" used so it penetrates PT and fascia board. Ain't coming off.
Supplied pole fits snugly inside mast pipe. Drilled hole clear through both and put in machine screw and locknut.
Rain gague bracket spans junction of supplied upper pole to secure and keep from turning.
Temp gague mounted with 10x1" screws into 3/4 strip.
Still ain't gonna survive a garbage can hit...
http://tinypic.com/r/2yknrf7/5 http://tinypic.com/r/nyihko/5
Couple of concerns about location but best I could do for what I have to work with. Possible warm air collecting under soffit because siding below gets sun in afternoon. Gable vent off to the left, Should breeze be blowing from the left I guess it could drift over and have an effect.