Weak flush on close coupled cistern

I have a close coupled Squire WC and the flush is really weak, such that it often needs several attempts to clear. Also, after flushing, sometime the water continues to flow through the cistern, stopping it from filling up. Can anyone give me a clue as to what's wrong.
thanks Simon
Simon wrote:

Best to post here:
UK.D-I-Y