WD-40 in yard light sockets.

Page 1 of 2
I have to outdoor light fixtures (four sockets) that have been empty for several years.
They require a long extension ladder to get to them.
I'm afraid that the threads in the sockets will be a bit corroded. Can I spray WD-40 into the sockets, let it sit for a while and then install the bulbs?
Thanks,
Dave
Dave wrote:

Think? :)

You can, but it would be far better unless they're in better shape than one would expect to do a good job of cleaning them up first. I tend to use the automotive-style dielectric grease (like you find in tail light fixtures, etc.) in outdoor sockets to minimize the inevitable corrosion.

WD-40 is highly flammable!
Charlie Morgan wrote: ...

Flammable, but not "highly" -- I routinely have used it on rusted threads w/ a oxy-acetylene torch -- it flares up a little and smokes but doesn't go "boom"...
It just isn't have a great deal of help for what OP's problem(s) most likely are...

Go read the label, you know the one that has the word DANGER on the front in large type, and the word flammable right next to it?
The MSDS lists it as level 4 (severe fire hazard)
Charlie Morgan wrote:

The label says "flammable" not "highly flammable", right? :)
All I'm saying is what I know from experience--

Actually I have a can right here. It's not "highly" flammable.
It's EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE (all in caps)
As if it wasn't flammable enough, the propellent is propane.
Here's the more detailed warning on the back of the can:
Extremely Flammable. Keep Spray Away from: Heat, Sparks, Open Flame, heated surfaces, and any other sources of ignition.
Disconnect electrical tools and appliances before spraying. Keep can away from electrical source or battery terminals.

Charlie Morgan wrote:

See, I said it wasn't "highly" flammable... :)
Can't you tell someone is (mostly) funnin' ya'? :)
Although I have used it as described although I do the spraying before lighting the torch. It really doesn't even flare up good, mostly just smokes and sputters a little. The propellant is long gone, by the time one gets the torch lit, of course...

No problem. I just want to make sure that the whole story gets told. I doubt you could initiate the China Syndrome with even a large can of the stuff. <G>

There was a fad for a while of lighting the spray from hair spray. In college I somehow ended up with a used can of hairspray and I tried it. It was sort of scary.

I have a potato cannon. I use an explosive propellant. You spray it in, hit the sparker, and BOOM a potato goes flying a couple of hundred yards. It is much more explosive than WD-40 (or else I would use that).
It is hairspray.
If you think WD-40 is explosive, you'd better seek a ban on hairspray.

You know of a spudgun fuel *less* explosive than hairspray (actually, the butane propellant)? I can't get my cannon to fire without vaporizing the potato.

Usually it is just 3 short bursts for a shot. A burst being just enought get a spray -- maybe 1/4 seconds each.
You're sliding the potatos in like a muzzleloader, aren't you?

Well, yeah. Isn't compression a necessary part of the equation?
BTW, Dixie cups make perfect blanks for a 2" PVC barrel. Sometimes, you just want to make noise to raise the dead.

I don't really compress it. I slide it in first. It does create one heck of a seal, though. But I've never made french fries with it. The spud goes out in one piece. I got "the long way" on the potato so it's a good, solid hunk of flying flesh.
I've often thought about putting some sort of groove in the barrel so I can get some rotation on it. they it would REALLY fly.

Compression's easy. Taper the inside end of the barrel slightly with a piece of 100 grit sandpaper, so it punches out the spud correspondingly oversize.

Range would be the same, accuracy would be better.
I've seen rifled PVC barrels sold online for just this purpose. Not cheap, though. I wonder if you couldn't glue in a loose spiral-wound piece of wire pulled from a bit of Romex for the same effect. Hope it stays in after the third shot ;-)
Could you cut fins from cardboard and install them into the spud at a slight helical pitch to add spin?
Aqua Net is best for this.
--

BetsyB

"Pat" < snipped-for-privacy@artisticphotography.us> wrote in message
What brand?
Withe apologye toe Dane Quaylee whoe putse ane extrae lettere one potatoe.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Charlie Morgan wrote:

Aw, come on! They're just saying that to protect themselves from nusiance lawsuits. No big deal.
HeyBub wrote:

Aquanet has killed at least one woman who was stupid enough to ignore the "Do not puncture or incinerate" warning on the spray can:
My curious mind wanted to find out how the lawsuit came out, and when I couldn't Google anything more about it I posted to misc.legal.moderated and let the legal eagles have a go at it. The most they were able to find out is that the case is "still pending" and a defense montion to dismiss it was denied.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)