Waterproof Seal for Wood--with standing water

Greetings all,

I'm stumped. I recently sank a wood box about 2 1/2 feet below ground so I can have a removable 4x4 pole on which to hang a hammock. All was well--the concrete was setting, etc. but when I came out the following morning there was about 1 1/2 feet of water that had seeped in. I can suck it out using a wet/dry vac, but i want to seal it internally to waterproof it. The problem is it will never be dry now. I can suck out all the water and it won't refill for about 30 min-1 hr. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
matt.markovich

congrats you have a shallow well............

you need to use a steel pole even if you have to abandon the current attempt

Reply to
hallerb

Sigh. Well, at least I know if/when the apocalypse comes that I'll have water. The issue is that it's already set in concrete and it's built to juuust fit the 4x4. Anything I can slide in there or a latex coating I can paint in? I looked all over creation for a pre-made steel or aluminum tube that would fit the 4x4 before building the wood frame but no dice...

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
matt.markovich

Sigh. Well, at least I know if/when the apocalypse comes that I'll have water. The issue is that it's already set in concrete and it's built to juuust fit the 4x4. Anything I can slide in there or a latex coating I can paint in? I looked all over creation for a pre-made steel or aluminum tube that would fit the 4x4 before building the wood frame but no dice...

Thanks for your help!

Use a PT1 treated 4x4, which is treated for ground contact. Since you're presumably going to be removing it when the hammock is not being used, it will have a chance to dry out and should last a long time.

Alternative -- a good metal shop can make a post to your dimensions that will fit the opening -- but I think just using PT lumber will fit your requirements

Also -- Where is the water coming from? If you're in Florida, I understand it filling in the hole, but elsewhere you might want to see where the water is coming from -- downspout, ruptured irrigation line, leaking main or drain line, etc., and if the water is not from natural ground-water sources you can fix the problem there. --

Reply to
JimR

What kind of wood is your 'wood box' made out of? Most 1x PT lumber isn't rated for ground contact - it isn't treated the same as 4x4 or larger lumber. It will eventually rot away if in constant contact with water. Maybe not as fast as un-treated, but eventually.

congrats you have a shallow well............

you need to use a steel pole even if you have to abandon the current attempt

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for all your help! The lawn is enclosed in a concrete wall structure and I think it just sucks up water and doesn't drain effectively. Also, we're on a downslope with certain portions (including basement) below ground level. The ground tends to saturate quickly. As you might imagine, there's a whole sump project in my future...

Reply to
matt.markovich