Water softener in cellar but no drain

We just bought a very old home, and are in need of a water softener. There is plumbing already in place for a water softener in the cellar. However, since there is no drain in the cellar, it appears that they had run a tubing 12 ft up and 15 ft across to reach the nearest drain. I am not sure how well this arrangement worked for them, but Kenmore (which is the brand we are considering) says that the drain cannot be more than 8 ft high. I am looking for options to get around this obstacle. Is it possible to use a bucket-style automatially-activated utility pump to pump the discharge from the water softener? Anything wrong with this idea?

Reply to
Andrew Sarangan

Hi,

A flaot activated pump is a good idea. make sure the pan gets cholrine tabs from time to time to avoid mold however.

candice

Reply to
CLSSM00X7

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote

That's because they don't use an industry standard 1/2" ID drain line. They also don't use an industry standard valve to tank, or tank, connection. And depending on your water quality, you're probably making a mistake with using that brand on private well water.

To check the drain line issue, look at the hole in the drain line connection fitting. At best it's 1/4" and the fitting accepts less than a 1/2" ID line. So no, that brand can't go 12', but then others can't either unless you increase the drain line flow control and use a top basket to keep the resin in the tank. And I don't suggest that. A sump pump would work but you should limit the choice to plastic due to the 'salt' water. I'd only use a pump if there were no sewer or drain lines to connect to (properly, with an air gap and trap) in the basement.

If you want a quote on a high quality softener, e-mail me with your water analysis data and the number of people using the water.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

"CLSSM00X7" wrote

cholrine tabs

IMO mold is usually not found in a sump pump pit, but bacteria can be and that can produce an odor. But even that is rare. Any pump for this application should be plastic.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

why not run the plumbing closer to the drain then?

my softener drain line is 10' and at an 8' height works fine.

Reply to
Punch

What type of pump do you think would work? I checked the Little Giant water pumps and they said none of their pumps cam be used for corrosive liquids. I am not sure if the discharge the softener necessarily qualifies as corrosive, but I imagine that it might deteriorate the pump faster than regular water. Are there any manufacturers of plastic pumps?

Reply to
Andrew Sarangan

sure, lots of them. look at marine fish tank pumps for instance. little giant, iwaki, etc. all have no exposed metal, which would rust in salt water tanks, for instance.

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote

softener.

automatially-activated

Anything

I'm not much for pumping it. It adds to the cost to both purchase and operate when the softener/filter can do it on its own but... Any plastic pump you can find should work. Do a google search.