Water heater

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

A heat pump hot water heater, run some duct work and cool a room somewhere while ur heating the water... http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/generic_index.asp?page_id6002071&vid_referP339&buyhide=1

terribly quickly - requiring too much maintenance -and do NOT save an awfull lot of gas. I DID consider getting an electronic pilot light unit instead of a standing pilot, but I would have had to order it in.

That is of questionable value too. If the pilot is keeping the water hot, little is wasted.

over the life of the heater. Again, not likely worth the extra cost - which is why I chose to go the way I did. I'd have saved more by buying from the distributor across town instead of from Home Despot - but the convenience of having HD so close to home outweighed the potential savings, given my time constaints etc.
On 06/05/2011 10:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Also, standing pilot is nice when the power goes out; you can still take a hot shower.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

and water heater standing pilots have tiny flames using very little gas, till heat is called for, believe its called 2 stage ignition, and whats burned by the pilot helps keep the water warm..... new tanks insulation is much better than older ones too.
take note tankless manufacturers claim very long life, but their warranties are actually shorter than many tank type heaters.
when a tankless fails you have zero hot water. and a soophiscated device probably requiring pro service and perodic flushing to remove sediment.
I dont mind investing 30 bucks a year in a 12 year tank type heater knowing i will likely never have to do a thing to it besides replace it at end of life........
well i probably should wash dust off the outer case perodically.........

years. That is definitely minimal maintenance. My wife likely dusted the top a few times.
On 06/06/2011 07:10 AM, bob haller wrote:

My last water heater I replaced the anode - just about when it should have been. also replaced the T/P valve when it failed (d'oh!) and the drain valve which I had to cap off to get it to fill without leaking. Of course, it was something like 20 years old when SW(useta)MBO had it replaced to make the house more saleable, and IMHO it was a waste of money :P
I (heart) gas water heaters, because I (heart) long scalding hot showers. I also tend to only be home briefly, so "oh, you can't take a hot shower, I just ran the (dishwasher, washing machine, whatever)" is unacceptable to me - but not a problem w/ a properly sized gas tank.
I really miss that house, now, actually :/ It was finally getting to the point where most of the stuff just... worked.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

When we were kids, my brother kept his tropical fish alive, during an extended power outage, that way. He surrounded the tanks with bottles he kept filled with hot water.
On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 23:30:03 -0700 (PDT), harry

Before installing a tankless (instantaneous), take a look at the unit's circuit diagram. If that doesn't scare you off, then you don't scare easily!
--
croy