Water hammer when one toilet flushed

Fairly certain have the correct answer but thought to run it past this group for a sanity check. When one toilet, and only one toilet, is flushed I get a water hammer through the ice maker connection to the fridge (all pipes have been checked and are not loose). Do not get any hammer when other toilets are flushed and cannot recreate the hammer by shutting off the water rapidly at any other water outlet. Is there any adjustment to slow down the closing of the fill valve (new style with vertical float)in the toilet? Is best solution to just change the fill valve. Thanks for the assist.

Reply to
NamPhong

What changed just before this started happening?

One thing that might help and is easy to try. Turn off the main water. Hook an air compressor to a spigot. Open all the valves in the house, one at a time until air comes out. Any hammer-prevention devices should be refilled with air. You can do the same thing by draining the system, depending on the layout of the pipes.

Reply to
mike

Raising the height of the shut-off/fill point will not change the rapid shut-off that causes the hammer. I would partially close the valve in the water supply to the tank so that the rate of water going into the tank for refillings is noticeably slower, and see if that doesn't help. You might try greasing the rod on which the float goes up and down, if the float is sticking, it might be sticking and then when the pressure on the float gets high enough, the float breaks loose and you have the quick shutoff. I don't know of any way to make the actual shutoff slower.

Let us knowwhat happens.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I replaced a fill valve that caused water hammer, the toilet was nearly new. I tired of the noise.

Reply to
bob haller

If this is a new problem, it sounds like one or more builtin water hammer arrestors inside your wall are saturated. All they are is a short length of pipe T'd off the lines at strategic locations. FIrst thing I would do is drain the lines completely using the lowest available drain point, hot side as well and then see if the problem goes away.

If the problem has always been there and you are just now thinking about doing something, they make screw on arrestors.

Robert Neville

You can try partly closing the shut off valve under the toilet. That way the water won't be going as fast when the tank valve closes.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How long do you think it takes air to completely dissolve into water at 50PSI? What happens with a well pump tank when the air control device no longer keeps it filled with air? Doesn't it get water logged within months?

IMO for those arrestors that are just capped off pieces of pipe to work, you'd have to drain the system a couple times a year.

Reply to
trader4

I'm with Trader4 on this one.

The best arrestors are the ones with sealed pistons inside them that physically separate the water from the air. That prevents the air dissolving in the water and the arrestor becoming flooded with water.

Reply to
nestork