Water hammer at hose connection

We are getting water hammer at both of our outdoor hose connections. These are the only locations where we have noticed any problems. Our restrooms, showers, and washing machine produce no noticable problems.
When we shut-off the valve at the hose connection, we get a fairly loud water hammer sound. It is reduced when we turn the valve off very slowly but still present.
What are the possible reasons and what are the solutions?
Thank you for the help. Fred snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
On 6 Jul 2003 07:05:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) wrote:

A sudden on-off cycle will send a shock wave down the pipe and bang against the support. You can make a pipe arrestor with a "T" connection (the tail of the T pointed UP), and a 1.5' foot terminated pipe on the tail. You can also buy a hammer arrestor and install it. The are often installed with laundry connections or close to on-off valves.