Washing Machine Recommendations

I promised the wife a new washing mchine. She is thinking of a steam and/or sanitizing model. She also wants large capacity (over 4.0 cft I guess) and I would like it to be high effeciency and low water consumption. I'd like to spend under $900 but....................................... Considering all the choices available I am looking for recommendations and of course interested in repair issues and known problems; also what makes to totally avoid. All your input would be very much appreciated. Thanks John

I just finished shopping for washer/dryer, and I will be very surprised if you find a steam model for <$900. I chose the LG WM0642HW. It does have a sanitizing cycle (has its own water heater), but no steam. Front loader, 4.0 cft, high efficiency, thrifty enough to qualify for the Energy Star rebate offered by my utility company. I got it at HD for $649, including delivery, setup, and haul-away of the old machine. If you shop HD, keep a close eye on prices. Mine was listed at $899. A few days later, it went to $699; I bought at that point. A few days later, it went to $649; I had them refund the difference. A few days later, it was $829. It's currently listed at $628.20 <insert curse word here>. Also, check their prices online; I found that the bricks and mortar HDs often did not have the correct price posted on the machines.

I've a maytag. 3 kids and 17 years later I've had no issues / no repairs. It owes me nothing.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 06:11:43 -0800 (PST), jim

and/or sanitizing model. ?She also wants large capacity (over 4.0 cft I guess) and I would like it to be high effeciency and low water consumption. I'd like to spend under $900 but....................................... Considering all the choices available I am looking for recommendations and of course interested in repair issues and known problems; ?also what makes to totally avoid. ?All your input would be very much appreciated. ?Thanks John

I just chucked a 30 year old Kenmore Heavy Duty washer. Still have the matching dryer. The transmission started leaking but was otherwise working. I bought the washer used in 1990 for $75 bucks. Found the matching dryer a month later at a yard sale for $50 bucks.
I bought a front loading Kenmore He that looks like a top loader with the control panel on the back instead of the front. So far after a year it performs flawlessly and uses a lot less soap and water but cleans the clothes better than the old toploader.

Be sure to get one in stainless steel with matching dryer. With a front loader you could even put a small granite counter top on the pair. How stylish! Your neighbors will be so envious. Of course you know your $900 budget only covers the down payment, right? Do what's right and spend every penny you can. Your help for the economy will be significant.
Joe
I will never go back to a top loader! They take way too long and way too much water. They do not get the close as clean either.
I don't like on my GE where I have to add water with the fabric softener though.
--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

sanitizing model. She also wants large capacity (over 4.0 cft I guess) and I would like it to be high effeciency and low water consumption. I'd like to spend under $900 but....................................... Considering all the choices available I am looking for recommendations and of course interested in repair issues and known problems; also what makes to totally avoid. All your input would be very much appreciated. Thanks John

If you really want to save money, recycle, and protect the environment, buy a used washer. I bought a washer for $50, then sold it for $50 when I moved after 8 years of use. You gotta do what you gotta do when money is not there. Wouldn't think steaming clothes would make much of a difference, else we would see more of this feature. Steam is great for pressing clothes, uses a lot of energy though.