Washing Machine Pumping Question

I already posted about my leaking washing machine. If I need a new one, I have an additional question: The drain pipe to which the machine connects ias about 4 feeet *above* the top of the washer. I have been told that some new washers will not pump drain water this high. Is this true? If so, which ones will?
George wrote:

Hi,
Yes. None. Might see if they have an high volume pump kit that can be added to what ever washer you look at....*some* where available a few years ago.
Some mfg information that comes with the machine is too generous, and some is not generous enough. In the case of your drain pipe, it would fall in the latter category. I think you could probably get away with 4' above the washer. The problem may be not that the pump can't pump the water (I think it will), but that the water that remains in the drain hose may flow back toward the machine when the pump stops. If a large amount of water were to do this, the clothes at the bottom of the basket would get wet again. But, I bet that it shouldn't be a concern with just 4' of extra height.

Having sold these machines for over 25 years, the only one that I know of that couldn't handle the 4', might be the newer Maytag Neptune front loaders. They offer an optional booster pump if pumping too high. But like you said, that 4' of water in the hose will run back down into the machine and of course if not connected correctly to the waste pipe, likely draw some water from the sewer with it. In some areas it is common practice to pump up to the top of the basement wall and out through the wall onto the ground. That would be about 4' above the machine.
Tom G.

Just to add to your post, "sucking sewer water" happens only if there is no air gap to break a siphon. So, just make sure the drain hose sits in the pipe freely, with air that can get in.