Wall paper paste

Is there anything that will remove hardened wall paper paste on the ceiling? It was left there about 5 years ago when the room was wall papered. I guess the installer for got to wipe it down. I tried all sorts of things,but I cant get it to soften up. Anybody have any ideas? I know I can sand it off and paint,but I am not up to that right now.
Andy

Is this just plain old wheat paste? It will soften eventually with water, AFAIK. It might just be a matter of keeping it wet long enough. If you don't want to wave a sponge over it for a long time, I'd be tempted to do something like moisten a single layer of paper towel and apply it to the ceiling where it will hopefully stick long enough for the paste to loosen.
Don't leave it on too long, though, or you'll be asking how to get paper towel off your ceiling next.
Try this: I have used this trick many atime. Buy, at Hd, Lowes, etc, a box of Hamiltons All Purpose drywall mud, not the topping. Apply a generous amount of the mud to the wallpaper paste and allow to stay for an hour, or until the paste is soft and comes off when you remove the paste with a 6' or bigger drywall blade. Sand and be done.
Rick Bass Players Drink Bass and Homebrew.
Use some new paste and some plastic, paste the area and smooth plastic over it, come back in a hour clean it all off.
Tom
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:00:55 GMT, "Andy & Carol"