A couple of weeks ago I bought a quart-size of DAP spackling compound and
used a bit of it.
Today, when I opened it, there was umistakable mold on the top.
I sure hope this doesn't mean I'm packing mold into my house. In a time when
mold has become the hidden killer of houses. (I just got a notice from State
Farm that mold damage is now excluded from coverage.)
I've seen this on some of my water based filler compounds. I just skim off
the mold from the top.
There must be something organic in the spackle or fillers that the mold can
I don't think there is any problem of the spackle attracting or supporting
mold growth once it has harded and the moisture is gone.
If in doubt call the manufacturer or your state dept of public health.
If you don't want mold in your house you should have plaster. Gypsum and
the paper on sheetrock are tasty foods for mold once it gets a little
moisture. Bathrooms are the biggest problem because even if they are
water tight from above and the plumbing is correct, the condensation from
the shower in the winter will create moisture in the wall cavities.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.