Wall hooks without wall damage

I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls but I really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors, screws and/or nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility of repairing becomes that much harder, unlike drywall patching. Therefore, has anyone used any type of adhesive hooks or other products which has a decent hold strength and will not put holes in the walls?
Thank you

colored pencils sticks with a any color close to that of the paneling and you'll never see the repair. MLD

Use picture rail molding. Or something similar. http://govart.com/hardware_rail_hooks.html
Jim
SBH wrote:

Adhesives will do far more damage to the wall than a single nail.
If you really want to keep the wall pristine, do like art galleries do and hang the picture from wires that go up to the ceiling.

    Very good answer. Acturally most art galleries put up some wood molding near the ceiling and it is shaped so they can just hang a hook shaped hanger over the molding and suspend a wire under it to hold the frames.
On 1/2/2009 6:21 AM snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

That's why it's called "picture molding" (or "moulding" if you prefer). Never noticed it in art galleries, but it used to be installed in most houses in the early part of the 20th century.

like it's part of the crown molding. Now it's easy to occasionally change out a painting or framed photo. I bought it at Home Depot, which also has the "S" hooks that hang from the molding.
On 1/1/2009 2:35 PM SBH spake thus:

I understand your concern. However, the absolute best fastener I've found for handing small items such as the ones you listed is the "Monkey Hook", aka Hercules Hook. It's a hardened steel hook that requires absolutely no tools to install: you simply push its sharp point through the wall and push it in until it "locks" inside the wall. Holds about 50 lbs. easily. And best of all, it only leaves a very small hole that's easily patched with spackle if you ever want to remove it.
Haven't used them on paneling, but they should work, provided the paneling is thick and strong enough.
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 15:04:21 -0800, David Nebenzahl

It's Billy Mayes in disguise !!!!
On 1/1/2009 4:09 PM Robert spake thus:

Yeah, amazing how I fall for those county-fair pitches. But shoot, the things actually work as advertised.
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 16:22:41 -0800, David Nebenzahl

According to a consumer reports article I saw on the tv news, they can not hold the weight they specify. They will rip out a hunk of the sheetrock wall. However, I have looked at them in the stores, and I can see where they would work for simple lightweight pictures. But pushing them thru paneling, might be tough and the hole will be the same as that left by a nail. On the other hand, nails need to go into the studs, the hooks need to go between them. So, both have their place and do minimal damage for lightweight items. Just dont try to hang heavy stuff like they show on the commercials.
I'm surprised no one had yet sued them for wall damage, or worse yet, having a heavy item fall and injure a person. It's a false claim to advertise they will hold 150 lbs or something like that, and that could lead to lawsuits.
Robert
Robert wrote:

Well, in fairness to Billy and his sponsor, have a look at this page:
http://www.herculeshook.com/?cid#9542
The "fine print" does state:
"For heavy objects over 40 lbs. use multiple hooks to distribute weight evenly."
And I bet the same notice appears on the hook's packaging or instruction sheet.
In the video, it does look like there's probably more than one hook used when Billy hangs the larger stuff up.
Like we used to say about most contracts, "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away."
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Search for a "stick and peel" type of product.
avoid adhesives, period. after the goo ages a while, cleanup off the paneling is near impossible.

Those adhesive things will make more of mess than a simple small brad nail. The adhesive will not come off, and will likely remove the paneling surface when scraped off. Just use a small brad. Drive it into a stud. If you ever remove the picture, you only have a tiny hole to apply some wood putty, or just drive the nail in, and use a colored magic marker to color the head to match the panel color.
Plain picture hangers come with a small brad and work just fine.

colored wax or putty. If it is in a seam it it even less visible.
Don Young

I don't know if it applies here but in places where nails are used, I just use thin headless nails or brads, and I use two a few inches apart, so I don't have to worry abou them hanging crooked. It's so simple and effective, I don't know why everyone doesn't do it.

running across the back of the picture. All my pictures are like that. Other situations may vary.

Have you looked into the Command line of products from 3M?
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Command/home/us_en/products/

3M makes adhesive hooks that (supposedly) won't leave any marks and they can hold a couple pounds easily. Or, save the work and decide not to put anything at all on the walls.