Wal-Mart fights back

Speak of which, Five Tulsa officers indicted today, Read more from this Tulsa World article at

FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Just making a point, criminal, civil, administrative, juvenile whatever if someone has to make their quota or respond because of the media,... beware. Oh yeah, if you are guilty be very aware.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

ya, and then the asshole cop would get what i call an "overhaul" in the courtroom. That boy needs an "OVERHAUL"

Reply to
Steve Barker

Alternatively, give the cop something he hasn't heard before.

I pulled up behind two Houston PD officers (I was a deputy sheriff) who had just pulled over a Pontiac that passed us both as if we were sitting still at 3:00 a.m. on a deserted freeway.

"Step out of the car, please" on Houston PD officer called to the driver.

Out of the car stepped this GIANT black man. Gold chains around his neck. I swear he must have been a linebacker for the Houston Oilers.

"Why were you in such a hurry, sir?" asked the officer as he look up (way up) at the driver.

"Pussy, man!" said the driver.

The cop looked at his partner. His partner looked at him. They both looked at me. I shrugged.

"Say what?" said the officer.

"Pussy, man! My old lady called me. Said to get my black ass over to her place! Said she was in the 'mood.' And officer, she ain't in the mood all that often!"

The officer looked at his partner. His partner looked at him.

"Well, can't really give a man a ticket for that. Go on, get outta here, but take it easy!"

" 'Preciate it officers, I really do."

The Pontiac peeled out in a cloud of dust leaving us three cops on the side of the freeway, small smiles on our faces, comfortable with the thought that, in a small way, we made the world a better place.

A good evening for all.

Reply to
HeyBub

It wasn't an employee, it was a shopper. The death of anyone is irrelevant to the ex post facto regulation that OSHA was trying to impose on Wal-Mart.

Had it been a Wal-Mart employee, I'd have sent a sympathy card.

Reply to
HeyBub

Oh, I agree it's apples and oranges, but the philosophy is still the same. Wal-Mart takes either the long view or the righteous indignation route (whichever you choose) and deals from principle rather than the easy way.

Reply to
HeyBub

Heh! I have a similar story.

LaCoste & Romberg declined to sell an air/sea gravimeter to Romania. The State Department intervened.

"We're trying to build rapport with the country. They need your gravimeter. Sell it to them."

"Nope," said Lucian LaCoste.

"Why not?" asked a representative from the State Department.

"Because they're Communists," said LaCoste. "Or didn't you know that?"

"Then they'll have to buy it from someone else."

"Nobody else makes one" replied LaCoste.

"Then we'll have to provide a development grant to somebody to develop one," the State Department fuzzy says.

"Go right ahead. It's only our money."

So, the federal government DID give a development grant to Hughes Helicopter to develop an air/sea gravimeter. The one they built worked pretty well - except for one small oddity. If the batteries for the internal heaters ever ran down, the gravimeter had to be returned to the factory for recalibration. As a result, nobody really bought the thing (except, perhaps, Romania).

Reply to
HeyBub

If you're talking about a new regulation back-applied to an event over a year old, no, they do not agree.

Reply to
HeyBub

"notbob" wrote

Evidently you do not own a business that has been sued.

I'm glad someone has the resources and courage to stop some of the crap that goes on every day with illegitimate claims.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When I was on vacation in New Zealand about 40 years ago I was surprised to find that they had a universal accident insurance program that even covered visitors. There was a standard list of compensation amounts to be paid for lost wages, loss of limbs, loss of sight in one (or both) eyes, etc., etc. No lawsuits for half the things that end up in US courts. An American lawyer on my tour bus thought it was a terrible system.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

The cops here in Chicago are scared shitless. I think three have been shot (assination style) in the last month alone. It's the murder capital of the world, I'm amazed when I hear news reports "that 7 people were killed in Iraq this week" and I look at Chicago which usually exceeds that in a few days, especially in summer. The cops are on a hair trigger and wont put up with anything anymore, in a way I cant blame them. Illinois is so incredibly f#$cked up, 16 Billion in unpaid govt pension liabilities, highest corporate tax rates in the world, unemployment around 12%, one party (Dem) political system that is corrupt beyond belief, 3 of the last 6 governors in jail or going to jail, A mayor that acts like Henry the VIII, gangsters, unsafe neighborhoods, every lawer on the take. Illinois is truly hell on earth, it's home, but man I'd love to get out of here. I'm not alone the population of the state is going down leaving even less people and corporations in the private sector to pay for the mess these corrupt overspending Democrats have gotten us into here. No I dont blame the cops one bit for wanting to administer a "tune up", maybe eventually they can clean up this town one tune up at a time.

Reply to
RickH

No, but I've dealt with "a business" and been screwed!

....and more times than I've sued, which is none all.

nb

Reply to
notbob

No, but I've dealt with "a business" and been screwed!

....and more times than I've sued, which is none all.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Who says it's an illegitimate claim? Or have you prejudged (as in prejudice) it?

Reply to
cjt

I'm not talking about any one particular claim, but I've seen many over the years. I've been involved in defending them for companies I've worked for and I know people that have made them. Sure, there are some where a business really is negligent, but there are many more that are not. Same with Workman's Comp, SS disability etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Chicago will soon be awash in cash as they charge $180 to register a firearm.

Reply to
HeyBub

Which is sure to create even more "criminals". These laws are so incredibly stupid, it makes one wonder if they aren't purposely designed to intentionally criminalize gun owners so law enforcement can drag out good ol' "probable cause".

nb

Reply to
notbob

If I hadda live where the humidity sometimes reaches 102%, I'd probably start shooting people too! ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

When we were kids, the schools handed out some kind of insurance forms that listed all sorts of injuries and the amount of money that would be paid out for them. There where little boys talking to friends asking them to break an arm for them so they could get money for that new bike they wanted.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Finally, someone else in this group with a brain.

It doesn't matter if they're hired guns or in-house staff, the decision to litigate has its cost/benefit tradeoff. Which to use is purely a long-term economic issue. WalMart didn't make the decision to litigate because they have free labor.

Reply to
keith