venting bathroom

I have noticed that almost all bathroom fan I have seen go through the attic. Here in eastern canada the attics are very cold in winter. Would it not make more sense to route the ductwork in warm areas, as in down and out to a vent such as a dryer uses? Or even straight out a side wall? I have seen the attic of an apartment building with 10' of uninsulated rigid duct work which was 95% full of solid ice. In the spring this ice melts and leaks out of the duct work seam and then pool on the vapour barrier until it finds its way to a seam and through the drywall ceiling.
habbi wrote:

Most of the time it is not a problem, but you are right, sometimes it is a problem. I like though the wall venting myself.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I have a 2.5' vertical duct wrapped with fiberglass insulation. I would assume that this would help provided the duct is well sealed along the joints.

The smart thing to do would be to move to a civilized country, habbi. You'll never be happy in Canada.