varnish vs polyurethene

What's the difference between varnish and polyurethene? I thought polyurethene is one type of varnish. Is Varathene a cross between varnish and polyurethene?

thx in advance

Reply to
wendi

Polyurethane is a varnish with synthetic materials. Varathane is just a brand name for a version of it

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's a quagmire of terms. Basically varnish is a natural product and polyurethane is a manmade product. Flecto Varathane (trade name) is a polyurethane, but the can information will just say it is a clear plastic coating. Polyurethane and varnish are similar in application and use, but purist don't like polyurethane saying it is tacky (in the style sense). Non-purists tend to prefer polyurethane because it goes on easier, less bubbles, less drying problems (sometimes), and stays clearer (less yellowing) than varnish.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Varnish is resins plus a vehicle. Plus assorted other stuff like driers.

Polyurethane is one kind of resin, alkyd is another. Both are synthetic. Plain old varnish is made with alkyd resins.

Varnish made with urethanes is harder than alkyd varnish and dries faster. It is a lot of work to recoat or redo because it must be sanded...alkyd sands much easier since it is softer. Sands better too, one can feather it.

Both are available in several sheens. Commonly, gloss, semi-gloss and satin. They all start out as glossy but flatting agents (usually talc) are added to reduce the gloss. One can do the same thing by rubbing out the dried surface with very fine steel wool, sandpaper or rubbing compounds.

A good (key word = good) alkyd resin job looks just worlds better than urethane...doesn't have the plasticky look. Additionally, it is less likely to crack at joints.

For a floor, I'd use urethane. For furniture or cabinets, alkyd. Actually, I'd probably use lacquer for the latter...much faster/easier but not as good looking. Better than urethane however (IMO).

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Reply to
Blue

:) my pleasure. But keep in mind that their are other resins both synthetic and natural. Damar is an example of a natural one (not used in household type varnishes)..

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

What is a vehicle? What does it do?

-thx in advance

Reply to
wendi

Vehicle is the carrier. In this case, the liquid that carries the solid resins so you can spread them on the wood. The vehicle can be a solvent, oil, or water, or combination of liquids. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

George,

Thank you for clearing the confusion. How about durability? Since polyurethane is harder (than varnish), is it also more durable? Is it okay to use varnish (alkyd based) on top of acrylic-based paint?

-thx in advance

Reply to
wendi

Just when I thought I got all the terms figured out... Here what I read at

The article first recommends using polyurethane on kitchen cabinets for high water resistance. Okay fine. It then keeps on referring to the polyurethane as the varnish. At one point, it even tells you to apply 3 coats of "urethane varnish" and wet sand inbetween coats??? And rub with fine pumice or mineral oil!?! Fine pumice??? That sounds too coarse! And mineral oil??? Oil on water-based polyurethane?

Is doityourself.com bogus?

-wen

Reply to
wendi

Reply to
nospambob

doityourself.com gets all its information from trolling around in news groups just like this one. on a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 3

what would you rate this lame website for morons that don't know any better?

how 'bout it Jim,Artie,Joseph,Binary and the list goes on.

Reply to
Tweedle Dumb

I wonder if they said that bcause polyurethane is varnish. Not all varnish is polyureathane though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hm... A couple of people in this thread just said that varnish is oil-based, polyurethane is water-based???

-wen

Reply to
wendi

Nobody said that.

Let me repeat: varnish is (basically) a resin and a vehicle. The vehicle is the liquid which carries the resin. Polyurethane varnish can be made with either water or oil (hydrocarbons) as a vehicle.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Varnish is oil base . Polyurethane is water or oil base. Varnish is used as a generic term for a clear coat for wood either Polyurethane or varnish, as in Varnishing wood.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
nospambob

Yeah... That's the impression I get. People just use varnish loosely to mean the protective clear finish regardless of the type of finish.

Reply to
wendi