varnish

a few weeks back i asked this newsgroup about staining a front door.well, that part of the job is done(turned out well) and now it is time to put a protective coating on it. i am planning on using a spar varnish and i have a few questions...shout i lightly sand the door( with steel wool?) and would it be better to take the door down and apply the varnish to door whilst flat? more that one coat?
any tips or advice would be appreciated thanks, cj

    I would use sandpaper. I would also read the recommendations/instructions that come with the varnish and follow them.
cj wrote:

1. You don't need to sand unless the surface is rough
2. You don't particularly need spar varnish; you *do* want a varnish that contains an UV filter
3. It is much easier to get a decent varnish job on something that is horizontal
4. You need a minimum of three coats, four to six are better. Lightly sand after each coat wnen that coat is dry...overnight at least.
5. You didn't ask but you should lightly sand the door and apply another coat of varnish at the first sign of deterioration. Annually should work.
dadiOH

Much, much, easier and far better results...
>more that one coat?<
As many as you like. Two minimum, lightly sanded before recoat. Don't forget the edges. Use the best quality brush the budget will permit.
Joe

Carefully hand sand the door, a light touch with 220-grit. Best to lay the door flat on two saw horses and prevent drips/sags.
On 6/3/2009 7:47 PM Phisherman spake thus:

And most importantly, get the door thoroughly clean before varnishing. Painstakingly clean. I'm doing exactly this same job sometime next week (just finished staining door). I first use a whisk broom, then a vacuum cleaner to get all the dust off the surface. Then a tack cloth (be careful not to snag it on any rough wood). You don't want any crap embedded in your shiny new coat of varnish.
Spar varnish is the perfect stuff for that, by the way.