Variable Fan Speed for Central A/C?

This is Turtle.
Well you have a Air flow problem of not enough air is being sent to the second floor. So Call the installer and tellhim that the top floor is not cooling off like it is suppose to.
Second if you have a Veriable Speed furnace it will start at a high rate and then move down or up on the speed as the need occures.
If you truely have a Veriable Speed blower the blower will stay in high speed if the ductwork is too small for the system. If the ductwork is correct. It will move up and down in speed to meet the need of air flow as the amount of Cubic feet per minute needed.
The top floor should be the same temperature as the lower floor or you have a problem. Now when you have one thermostat on the bottom floor and on a not so hot day. You could have some warner temperatures on the second floor due to thermostat being satistied and the temperature of second floor not being read by the thermostat.
Lot of veriable here and you need the installer to address them.
TURTLE

This is Turtle Again.
I looked your furnace up on the website you give and it is not a veriable speed fan in the furnace. It is a multy speed fan blower but you can only use the one speed that you put it on. It will not very in anyway but just blow at one speed. A true veriable speed blower will or can go from high to low as the case may be needed. So You don't have a Veriable speed blower on your furnace.
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

Isn't variable speed fan DC driven vs multi-speed one AC driven? Big difference between two. Tony

Veriable Speed blowers is a DC motor which will be controlled by a cubic feet per minute control and will sence the speed of the air and speed up or slow down to keep the cubic feet per minute up to a set point.
Multi-speed blowers are 220 volts AC or 120 volts AC and comes in furnaces to be set at one speed that you set it at. The Multi-speed motor are only run at 1 set speed or R.P.M. and it will never change as the furnace runs.
The Multi-Speed AC Motors are about $100.00. The Veriable Speed Motors DC are about $600.00.
Definately a big difference.
The lady has stated she had a veriable speed blower motor on here furnace. She can not have a veriable speed blower fan on that model number. She has a set speed Multi-speed AC blower motor [ standard motor ] . If a HVAC contractor says you have a veriable speed blower on the furnance you add about $600.00+ to the job for just the Veriable speed Blower fan. I think she thinks she has a veriable speed motor to do here job. If you bid a Veriable speed motor on a job and then just put a standard motor on it. You can short change the Job by $600.00 atleast. This is what I'm getting at.
TURTLE
You only have one unit for two floors? Never have seen that here.
Vicki in Phoenix
Yoyomama wrote:

Very common out here.. Also very wrong.

This is Turtle.
The people up North don't need Cooling very much and try to save some money by having one unit. Here in the South You will get baked by tring to have one unit. If you ever try it you better know what your doing or you can mess it up real fast for it is just too much to go wrong with two level cooling with one unit. I wouldn't try it in Az, Tex, or La. Here in the South if the Air Quiets the house goes to about 110F to 130F and even the refrigerators quiet working and you can imagine what it does to people when a refrigerator will not run because it is too hot. Here Air conditioning is life support and not a wanted item. It gets hard to breath above 120F and 100% RH. Most people with breathing problems keep a back up window unit on hand plugged in for use and just about everyone of them has my phone number for some reason or the other.
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

Just curious -- I had a horse vet when I was in high school who required an overtime charge of a fifth of Jack Daniels, black label, any time you called him out on a Sunday or to work on a goat. Just wondering if you have a similar charge for all these people who have your number?

This is Turtle.
About only 20% of my business is Residentiual and if they never called I would be happy. I will go anytime for the Commercial accounts because they don't mine pay good for service. The 20% of residentiual customers are from the old days of my father and brother was in the business with me. If I do all their work through the years, I will go out on sunday and I work Saturdays anyway. If your not on the old customer list. I can't hear the phone at all and my wife answers the phone. She knows who is regular for I have a list of them to look at anytime. All Churches , School board coolers / Big unit for events, Telephone Companys, any old customers, and also that don't have any money to pay. I have some old residentiual customers of My Dad old account and they Ain't got no money to pay the the regular service companys. You get a bunch when you take over a business that has done business for years. Most all these " Ain't got no money " are over 70 years old , most medical condition , and on SSI .
Now if I haven't done your business for years, I can't hear the phone. Now if you have a medical condition it might be a different story, but it better be good. If I catch you in a lie about it, well , get your billfold out for your going to pay big time. I had a old fart pull the medical call on me on Sunday and I got there and he had two units for the house. he could just sleep in the front part of the house and not use the Bed room area. He also had a Guess bed room that he could sleep in -- in the front part of the house [ where it was cool ] and just did not want to not sleep in his bed room. My Work Order and Ink pin went wild.
TURTLE

T,
I don't do any residential for money, and never have. I didn't have the obligations of an old line outfit, and I saw in trade school where residential work will get you. This is not a reflection on the guys that do resi work... I admire that they have the temperament for it... I couldn't put up with the clientele. A look any day over at Alt.Home.Repair will confirm that's still the case.
That said, I live in a small community that has been growing since it's near Indianapolis. It's still got that small town mentality, and I know the Sheriff, and the town Cops, and the build inspectors, and most of the old folks living on the fringe. Sometimes the Sheriff, or the Township People, or the inspectors, will call me and ask if I can help someone out. I usually do. We're talking the opposite of what you have down there... dead of the winter calls when a older person can't get their electric heat going, or a waitress with three kids doesn't have any electricity. We, in the community, help where we can... whether it's my buddy the master plumber, or the electric utility CINergy, or me and my guys, we try very hard.
Sometimes I'll still get the resi telephone calls when I'm in the shop on Saturday and answer the phone.... Whine, whine, whine.... I messed something up and I REALLY NEED somebody to come out TODAY. I've got a referral list for several local guys who are hungry and good and I send them there, or, maybe some of my guys are looking to pick up some extra cash and I give the caller their pager.
The Cops and the Sheriff and the township people know how to find me if it's something serious... otherwise, I'm 'unavailable'.
Helping your neighbor is what the USA is all about, but you've gotta know when it's 'helping' or just being taken advantage of.
Jake
TURTLE wrote:

Shoot, you're an old softie. Kinda like me -- I don't do a lot of side jobs unless iy's a weekend and there are old people or pets in the house.
Vicki
They do that in Vegas..We had a small 1200 sq foot house there we sold recently, and most of the homes around it were two story, and they all had one unit..Was very odd to me being as hot as it gets there...I don't know if they were zoned or not.... John

Variable speed? Nope, just multiple speed.

True... but they can adjust the speed correctly for the size of the A/C installed

Actually you have 3 operating speeds: 1 for heat 1 for cool and a seperate speed for continous fan (selected on the thermostat Fan: On/Auto)
Here: DL you operating manual, which you should have the paper version: http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/groups/public/documents/techlit/58mxa-15si.pdf (984KB)
Again, thanks for all your helpful advice, especially this one:
"And by closing off to many registers you could create another problem down the road. (this is like putting cardboard in front of your vehicles radiator)"
I hear you loud and clear -- I can't imagine the fan motor being happy about this in the long run.
I just have one more question. Just to see how the performance changes, I played around with the dampers last night. I have two of them, one going to the first floor and one going to the second floor. There are five settings for each one: shut, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1. Here are my results:
1st floor damper shut, 2nd floor damper 1 = almost no change in the force of the air on either floor.
1st floor damper 1, 2nd floor damper shut = 1st floor output is way stronger; 2nd floor, no change.
Why would shutting off the 1st floor damper have no effect on either floors? At the very least, I figured it should cut off the airflow to the first floor.