Vacuum Cleaner Puzzler

The vacuum cleaner is a HOOVER, plastic shell, about 10 yrs. old.
I put in a new "hypo-allergenic" paper filter, and used it to vacuum the carpeting on my deck. ( we get dust and desert sand during windstorms )
When I was done, I thought there was a hole in the bag ! There was fine desert dust around the air exits, and, the inside of the plastic clamshell ( filter bag housing ) looked like it had been dipped in yellow flour.
Is this how much dust gets thru the filter during normal household vacuuming ? Did I somehow overload the filter bag ?
( checked twice... bag's been installed correctly )
???
On 4/15/2010 11:07 AM, <RJ> wrote:

That's why I hate bagged vacuums. Anything slightly abrasive, moving at that high speed, tends to hit one spot inside the bag. It will drill a hole in short order.

Wow, that is so very very very very very fine particles of desert dust there... Much smaller in size than your typical household dirt...
The particles were probably small enough in size to just pass right through the filter bag in the vacuum like it wasn't even there...
*cough cough*
~~ Evan
<RJ> wrote:

Try using a HEPA filter if there is one available for your vacuum.