Vacuum Cleaner Hose

Page 1 of 2
I understand this isn't an home repair issue, but this seemed like the most promising place to ask.
We just bought a new vacuum cleaner. It's an upright like our old one. To use it like a tank type we attached an extension hose to the built in hose and used attachments designed for the extension. The new vacuum has a different size hose. The vacuum repair shop tells me this brand is unique to this odd size, and the extension will not slip into the built in hose and since it's unique, no one carries hose stock in it's size. It turns out that the diameter of the fitting on the extension and the vacuum hose are identical. I am trying to think of a way to connect the extension to the vacuum hose without making ANY modification to the vacuum side. The nipples are required for the hose to work properly in the upright mode.
Picture here
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6246962/Vacuum-Cleaner-Extension-Hose.jpg .
Ideas ??

Duck Tape is the home repair way of doing it.........
--
Disallow: /
On 2/29/2012 7:20 PM, jim evans wrote:

You can use duct tape or something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/82fo2pm
TDD
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:03:13 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Agree. Take a trip to the local hardware store, plumbing supply electrical store, etc. See if you can find a piece of pipe, tubing, conduit, etc that fits inside of them, then tape them together.

or go OD with a piece of PVC and cut notches to fit over nipples. looks like some 2" would work
Musta been a good idea, if two people suggested it.
You found the answer to the rat trap? Then you could be ChairMan Mouse See Dung?

or go OD with a piece of PVC and cut notches to fit over nipples. looks like some 2" would work
The ID is small enough. And, with dust and junk travelling inside the tube. I'd want an external coupler. Every bit of ID is precious. An internal diameter is a terrible thing to waste.

Agree. Take a trip to the local hardware store, plumbing supply electrical store, etc. See if you can find a piece of pipe, tubing, conduit, etc that fits inside of them, then tape them together.

I'm biased I like my idea earlier of a short piece of radiator hose with a clamp at each end (similar to a car). Not sure if the OP likes this idea but it just gives him more food for thought.

Ok. I thought the hose might have a little flex to it. Might also try a large water diameter water hose if that's cheaper than the radiator hose. If your idea really does swivel, then that might be better. Either way, the OP has several ideas to check out <grin>.

I like the "inside sleeve" idea. If it's metal, like exhaust pipe or copper and a "just snug" fit it won't noticeably restrict air flow. 3" long, 1 1/2" inserted into each hose end. The hose ends will butt and a pretty tape can cover the tiny gap. I like vinyl black electrical. The fly in the ointment is finding pipe with the right OD. In the end, probably will never get done. "Proprietary" fittings on anything can be a PITA. I avoid them when I can. And I don't get why the one fitting "can't be modified." The tabs look like they're for a twist/lock, which might be unnecessary.
--Vic

I agree he wouldn't want to make the clamps too tight. I wouldn't be as worried about a little air leak as tightening the clamps too tight. I suppose he could use teflon tape on each end and build it up and then place the hose over it and than clamp that to try to prevent air leaks but regardless, overtightening the clamps could pose a problem.
Be interesting what he chooses and how it works out. Hope he gets back to us and tell us what works for him.

In my last house (built in the late 40's), the kitchen sink drain went into a lead pipe that clogged frequently because of the bend and shallow pitch. Radiator pipe and a couple of clamps fixed it. It was there 10 years and was still there when I moved.
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:03:13 -0600, The Daring Dufas

The link didn't work for me.
On 2/29/2012 8:56 PM, jim evans wrote:

Something happened to the link when other folks repeated it for some odd reason.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/82fo2pm
http://www.completeplumbingsource.com/barbed-pvc-insert-coupling
TDD
Well, d'uh, the link doesn't work when the carat is stuck to the front of the HTTP. Put in a couple spaces. Link goes here: http://www.completeplumbingsource.com/barbed-pvc-insert-coupling
wrote:>You can use duct tape or something like this:

The link didn't work for me.
Thanks to everyone. The OD/ID pipe and the flexible couplings were good ideas. The OD would be better 'cause it doesn't restrict the flow.
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 23:27:44 -0600, jim evans

Maybe short piece of radiator hose and 2 clamps???
A couple of cut outs, use razor blade to make holes in the rad hose for the Frankenstein neck studs?
Maybe short piece of radiator hose and 2 clamps???
Either duct tape, or a PVC coupler, and use your dremel to notch for the nipples.