Vacillating refrigerator temperature (GE Profile Side-by-Side)

We have an approximately 4 yr old GE Profile Side-by-Side refrigerator.
My wife complains that the temperature varies so much that sometimes things freeze and other times things spoil. This variability occurs at constant locations (i.e., it is not just location dependent). She has confirmed 10-20 degree temperature swings by using a thermometer in water.
Any thoughts what might be causing this and how to fix?
Thanks
blueman wrote:

Hi,
Model# ?? http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

Depends on how your mystery model was made....bad control, dirty hot condensor coils casuing compressor to shut down.

Sorry, model number is: TPS24PPDABS
blueman wrote:

Hi,
Definetly check the hot condensor coils underneath, they should be cleaned once a year ( more often if you have pets ).... http://www.applianceaid.com/clean_condenser.html

Definetly suspect the cold/temp control....that is what cycles the refrigerator on and off....wide temp swings may be a fauly control....
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N11019 Thermostat temp control
blueman wrote:

The problem is quite evident (see first two words in your second paragraph). Replace with a newer model.