Using the push-in option (and no screw tighten) on outlets

OK - I've read the bitter vitriol in here used to describe the use of the push-in option when wiring electrical outlets, but is there any study someone can point to that has tested the long term difference between the screw terminals and the push-in variety? All I hear is anecdotal - kinda like the resistance a few have for using PEX in plumbing.

Aside from 'personal experience', is there any data?

I dont know but I have had one fail and will never use another one. when anything is the cheapest available its usually not a good deal.

Reply to
hallerb

Use them and let us know.

Reply to
Terry

I think NEC banned 'stab' connections on outlets used with 12ga wire. I don't know what data they used if any to make that change. I always use 12ga 20Amp circuits. When I come across any 'stabbed' outlets or switches I will go ahead and pull the wires out and use the screws. I can never seem to make the release things to work so I end up pulling hard while twisting back and forth. If you do use the 'stab' connectors then I would use pigtails. I prefer to use the 'back-feed' type where you put the wire in the hole and tighten the screws. I am comfortable using those without pigtails. The back feed type do cost more though, over $2.00 each. Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

I would think the real world experiences of thousands of people and tens of thousands of outlets would consitute 'data'. It's been proven over and over that the pushin connection is unreliable especially when in the middle of a 'series' run of outlets. I use them very rarely and only on a single switch. I never use 14 ga on outlets so it's a moot point on them.

S. Barker

Hi, I don't know about statistical data but just law od physics. It may be quick and easy method but look at the contact area of the wire vs. looping wire around screw and tightening it. Spcially when the outlet is carry near capacity current. I never wired using stab method. But I am sold on PEX.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Are you publishing a book?

My personal experience won't matter then!

Reply to
Oren

OK - this is *exactly* what I'm talking about - what 'thousands of people'?? Where do you get this information?

(I *love* PEX too!) but I do think about the physics - is a larger contact area better? Will I get a bigger jolt if I put my thumb on a hot rail than if I put my pinkie on it?

No.

OK.

Hi, Jolt is a function of voltage, not current. Across car battery, not much jolt.Current is a function of contact area or size of wire. Like thicker wire has more current carrying capacity. If frequency of current goes way high into R.F. range, skin effect comes into play. That is why R.F. carrying conductor is some times hollow pipe or multi strand wire(Litz wire), not solid core wire. I am retired EE who used to work on mega size telecomm/computer site. On mil-spec wiring, I never observed stab wiring. Probalby commercial wiring is same.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

In electronics when wanting to ensure a good signal or clean power there are several fundamentals that must be observed. However when in doubt the old adage "more copper" comes to mind. If there is less surface area for current transfer from one conductor to another then resistance will build and that translates to heat. The stab type outlet has far less surface area in contact with the wire than the screw type does. This in itself is a dangerous design when you use devices that require much current draw from that outlet. I don't think it's a matter of how secure the connection is rather than the contact areas between the wire and outlet that are in question.

Reply to
badgolferman

Personal experience here-- a lady at work has a mobile home she bought new about 8 years ago. First her fridge stopped working, so she pluged it into an extension cord to another outlet. I was out there doing a heater or a/c maint. checkout, so I looked into it. Fridge outlet was backstabbed. I think it was an end run. but not positive--this was several years ago. I cannot remember if the outlet also had screws which I used instead or if I replaced the outlet, but she has had no more trouble with it. Next time I was there, several more plugs and lights were not working-- same thing. Definitely would have been enough to convince me they were no good, except I already thought that anyway. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Call it anecdotal, but like many others here, I've had multiple failures of back stabbers dating back many years. I doubt that you would never get any other view from any journeymen in the trade. Analyzing the problem from an engineering standpoint, it seems entirely logical that an overheated spring contact will loosen and fail. Seems to me to be pointless to do a study of the likelihood of that happening. The end user abuses the device, the device fails. The manufacturer will cheerfully send you another 79 cent part if you gripe about it, but why bother? The manufacturers are well aware of this weakness and make backstabbers noiw that must be screw tightened. My dimes worth...

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I think he is looking for permission to use equipment that is questionable, but easier for the novice. A pro can twist a wire on the terminal rather fast

In the time spent trying to get approval, twenty connections could have been made.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

it costs a bit more but I love the kind you put the straight stripped wire in and tighten screw.

fast easy removable and worth the cost

Reply to
hallerb

And yet, UL approves the "stab" outlets.

I would presume they do all sorts of controlled lab tests. Their approval seal "should" be better than any folklore.

How about the Canadian testing group ? They tend to be more conservative. Do they approve "stab" outlets ?

Reply to
Anonymous

I just took a look at some single pole switches that I have. They have both screw and stab connections and are CSA (Canadian Standards Association) approval 99-6416-2.

Reply to
Worn out Retread

U/L listing only means the fire is constrained inside the device if it fails, not that the device actually works.

Reply to
gfretwell

It is not news to anyone that does a little reading that those stabs are unreliable and crap.

The ones that get heavy use will eventually cause problems.

Reply to
Terry