Using piano wire to cut chocolate

Page 3 of 3

Chocolatiers melt chocolate all the time.It doesn't hurt it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

toy train transformer,they have a variable output.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Apr 2, 4:45 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Fine wire with an overhand knot about every half inch or so will work just fine as a saw with no electricity involved.

You would need a transformer to drop the voltage and increase the current. For steel wire, the current needed would be high.
How about a standard coping saw?
Bob

A soldering gun might work as a cheap power supply.

I've visited the Ethel M chocolate factory here in Las Vegas several times. Never saw a coping saw, but they have a beautiful cactus garden. -- Oren

The 0.025 inch nickel-chromium resistance wire I sell on this page for ice-cutting grids would be suitable for this project:
http://www.truetex.com/icemachine.htm
You could power this by simply hooking an inexpensive wall-wart transformer from Radio Shack to the resistance wire.
I also sell a flat ribbon form of this wire, which might (or might not, have no experience in this application) work even better as a hot knife:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbayQ2dee
You'd need to improvise some type of bow holder, like a cheese knife or coping saw.
I expect this will work, since even if the melted "kerf" is mostly refusing after the wire passes by, since you have interrupted the fine structure which would easily and cleanly snap apart. And if you put a little downward pressure on each side of the cut, you'd tend to spread the pieces, since chocolate is subject to low-pressure plastic flow (or "creep" in engineering terms).
Send me one o' those mega chocolate bars, and I'll be happy to research and design a complete implementation!