Using a tire rim to pull out a concrete footing

Has anyone ever done this? And did you attach a chain to a ball hitch on your truck? Or is this more trouble than it's worth.

I never tried it, but heard it works. Be sure your ball hitch and your bumper are secure. I hooked a chain to my old pickup to pull my car out of the mud and the whole hitch and bumper came off my truck. Needless to say, I was pissed !!! Lots of welding and everything is back in place, but I wont try that stunt again.

It'd be better to use the entire wheel.

No, the chain won't stay on the wheel as easilly as it'll stay on the rim alone.
John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC\'d posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.

The rim is only the outer part of the wheel welded (sometimes bolted) assembly. A tire mounts on the RIM, and the assembly bolts to the axle.
Never heard of it. Do you have a link?

His chain has all kinds of links. Which one do you want to look at? He might send you a picture of that link.....

Footings where I live are 10 to 30 inches deep. Back hoe country.
The wheel trick does work with a large diameter wheel and pulling steel fence posts.
Biggest trick is a large enough, strong enough wheel. And ground where the wheel does not sink.
byron wrote:

Getting footings out without a backhoe is hard work. I've tried pulling out fence posts with a car and a toe rope - not much use. They were only 450mm (18") deep. I tried a few ideas like using a new fence post as a lever - toed by the car to pull out the old one. Nothing worked as well as jumping on the end of a 10' steel bar to lever them out of the ground - except of course for a backhoe.
I would guess that you would require more traction than your truck can provide. I tried something similar except using posts instead of a wheel. I just spun my car wheels on the ground and didn't get anywhere.
I think it depends a lot on how hard the ground is too.
sook the hell out of the ground first. Should just pop right out. I've done this with small stumps plenty of times.
The next time you have to remove one, do this: 1) Take a section of 1/4" or 5/16" by (about) 18" long chain. 2) Wrap the chain around the post tightly. 3) Bolt the ends of the chain together (you may need washers on the bolt) 4) Lay a 4 x 4 on the ground about 6" away from the post. 5) Put the tip of the bar under the chain. Then push down on the end of the bar.

on