Using 2 different base boards in the house

Hey folks:

I just re-did my dining room with new snap-on wood floor, baseboard etc. I used a 5 1/4" base board (height). Since I replaced the door casings, it looks nicely matched. However, I am feeling lazy now to replace the thin clamshell casings on all the other doors that I have and so plan to use a 3 5/8" ht. baseboard in the rest of the house instead so that it matches somewhat the thinner casings elsewhere. Do you think this will look noticeably different when I sell the house? I know this is a subjective question so please folks, I am serious here; no smart alec responses.

Thanks, MGN

Reply to
mgnric05

Hi MGN,

I'm in the process of updating cosmetic things around our house and my first thought was "Yes!". But the more I think about it, if the baseboards matched

*within* each room, I probably wouldn't notice and if I did, I don't think I'd mind. It's the mismatched finishes that are terribly noticeable. I have heard people comment that the baseboard height/quality represents the overall quality of a home and since it's fairly cost-effective and not very time-consuming, I'd go ahead and replace them.

Cin

Reply to
Cindy

My guess is you are going to notice it the most and wish you had done it right and will end up changing it.

As for someone who is just visiting I would guess 20% of them might notice.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

They might notice especially if you empty the house before selling but it shouldn't effect any resale price. Most people want a few easy things to fix up right away anyhow, it makes them feel more at home. People only deduct for things that have to be fixed not little cosmetic foibles.

Many homes have one or more rooms trimmed differently due to patchwork remodeling, its normal. the look all depends on how each room flows to the next and if both trims are visible at the same time in a broad view.

Reply to
PipeDown

We know you are serious, but when you ask for no smart alec responses, you leave yourself wide open for them or NOT to get some legitimate responses because we think YOU are the smart alec.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski