DIY Cultured Marble installs

I don't think cultured marble can be seamed in the field. Has to have a seam cover or molding. It is not like solid surface which can be glued, then sanded and polished to look seamless. The pretty is only on the surface with a type of gel coat that is put in the mold before they pour. My experience is that most cuts are made where they can be covered with a molding or butted to a wall.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Does anyone know where to look for info on working with cultured marble. I'm interested in learning about polishing and smoothing cuts. And how to join pieces together (I think they glue them with something and then polish).

Anyway, any leads on the information would be appreciated. I just had some panels installed in my shower and it looked pretty easy to do so I think next time I will do it myself.

Reply to
User Example

Cultured marble is made to the job by pouring a slurry into a mold. The molds are usually typical but adjustable for size. Maybe your installer had an adjustable wrap around mold for the countertop or maybe there is some new technology that I'm not aware of. Most bath countertops (and mine is no exception) has the back splash molded in and then additional pieces are molded separately for the side splash pieces. However the seam is evident in these.

I learned a good deal about it when my installer quit on me and I had to finish it. He had already molded all of the pieces and delivered them, but hadn't installed them all. Included a shower pan, shower walls, tub surround and island, and vanity top.

In all the research I did, including quizzing installers, I never heard of seamless field seams with cultured marble. Or of sanding and polishing. If that is true it would be great because you could do cultured marble and have solid surface (corian) results at about 25% of the cost.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

My bathroom has a counter top that wraps around a 3-sided corner. It is probably a good 12' in length at least. I can tell that it was made of

3 pieces because I can see a slight variation in the color where there would be a seam. There is no actual seam, just a difference in color from one area to the next. I don't know where they did the actual seaming but something happened somewhere. Just curious.
Reply to
User Example

I think you're describing solid surface, as far as I know cultured marble cannot be seamed as you describe nor can it be sanded or polished.

All major solid surface manufacturers require special training and certification to purchase sheet goods. You may find a smaller manufacturer that will sell to you. There are many small-time operations that produce polyester sheets, poly is a pain for an experienced fabricator for a number of reasons, acrylic is way better for the less experienced, but I think acrylic requires more infrastructure so you probably won't find some guy making it in his garage.

Reply to
savethewails