Freezer runs for half-second

I have an old Westinghouse freezer (left behind by PO) that when plugged in runs for half a second, stops, sits for about ten second, then kicks on for another half second, stops, and so on. Any thoughts on what might be wrong and if it's an easy fix (e.g. cleaning contacts, or whatever) or best taken to the dump. TIA for any opinions.

Denny

Reply to
Dennis Straussfogel

No, it sounds like it's running, not jammed. I'll look at the relay again, maybe that's it. Pardon my ignorance (I've worked on electric motors, but not refrigerator/freezer compressors) but is there a motor inside the "sealed football" and why is it sealed up? Seems like it could be made much more serviceable if the motor and compressor pump were separate. Again pardon my ignorance--I only have a doctorate in aerospace engineering, not refrigeration mechanics! TIA.

Denny

Reply to
Dennis Straussfogel

Compressor is jammed and causes the thermal breaker to trip then a delay while it cools then it repeats.

Its dead, take it to the dump.

Reply to
PipeDown

Is it just humming, or does it sound as the compressor motor is actually running. When my fridge did this, I found the starting relay was sticking. I bought a new one (solid state) and it has been fine ever since. Costs about $20. John

Reply to
JohnR66

My best guess is bad starting components on the compressor. An appliance guy can install a hard start kit, and you can have many years more service from your freezer.

I've installed a bunch of hard start kits. The last time I talked with a customer, he said Sears got him $180 for a hard start kit (Gemline) on his refrig, and it lasted about a year. I charge much less than that (and use Supco) and seldom have a callback.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had a refrigerator that did this also. Repairman changed the start switch to a new solidstate one. Worked ok for a while (a few years), then stated acting up again. So I bought a hard start kit (just a large capacitor). No problems since (many many years).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I believe the system is hermetically sealed to eliminate a possible leak. If you have an external motor, it's kinetic energy will have to be transferred somehow from outside the compressor pump: generally a shaft.

A magnetic-drive system is feasible, but not practical as far as expense IMO; especially since the hermetically sealed system is tried and true. They generally don't need servicing and are 'cheap' enough to replace if absolutely necessary.

Reply to
Olaf

My best resource is the guy at the local appliance parts store. I just tell him what I have and he tells me what is wrong even before I finish explaining the symptoms.

A jammed compressor would have a bit longer run/reset time than you described, it certainly could be something like a relay or motor cap

Yes, the sealed compressor has an integrated motor and they are virtually impossible to service. I tried to cut one open once and barely scratched the metal (maybe if I had an air grinder....).

Reply to
PipeDown

Well, I took a gamble and bought a Supco hard-start kit (talked them down to CA$30 from CA$42) and now the compressor runs for about 4-5 seconds then stops. The hard-start capacitor clicks back on after about

10 seconds and I can repeat the process. The compressor is definitely running, not jammed, but the problem persists, albeit with a little longer run time. So perhaps I should have spent the $30 on lottery tickets instead. Nevertheless, I thank to everyone for their advice. Win some, lose some.
Reply to
Dennis Straussfogel