USELESS - Spring Tension Shower Curtain Rods

When it comes to useless inventions, I'd add the "Spring Tension Shower Curtain Rods" near the top of the list. Yea, they dont have to be cut and will fit any "normal sized" shower area, but I have to wonder how many people have gotten bruised heads from those damn things falling.

Our house had one of them, and it had a lightweight plastic shower curtain on it. More than once I've opened the curtain and that rod slipped down the wall, so that I'd have to readjust it. Last night I dropped a bath towel in the tub. I wrung it out by hand and tossed it over that shower rod to dry. This morning, the towel, curtain, and rod were all laying on the bathroom floor. Apparently a wet towel is too heavy for that worthless piece of crap.

Tomorrow I'm buying a REAL shower rod that screws to the wall, or just some screw on rod holders and a piece of 3/4" EMT conduit.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Could be user error or a low quality tension rod. I don't recall that a tension rod has ever fallen in the 30+ years I've been using them. I've replaced them because they get worn/shabby, but not because they fall down.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'd go with low quality. I had one for 15 years that never moved. I bought a new 'cheaper' one last week and it fell twice. You get what you pay for.

Reply to
Thomas

[snip]

Yes, those rods do that. Also, suction cups. I've tried things like soap dishes that go in my shower (ceramic tile). They never stay up more than a couple of hours. Usually it's just a few minutes. And that's without anything (such as soap) in them.

BTW, I did find a use for one of the suction cups once. I used to to remove the glass when disassembling an iMac. Of course, it just had to hold the glass for a few seconds.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I built a shelf with 2 tension rods recently, and I've set it up with nothing on the shelves yet so I can test it to see if it'll hold up under normal pulling and tugging on it that might happen over a period of time. I also tapped in some shims on one side that might have needed some extra tension and so far it hasn't budged.

Reply to
Muggles

I've got one expressly for hanging wet bathing suits. It has never fallen down.

It's important to get one that's oversized. That is, if your tub is

60", don't get one that's rated for 36-63". Get one that's rated for 43-72".

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Is that possible these days????

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Top of the list has to go to Hospital Gowns!

Reply to
JPB