Use patio furniture as front room furniture?

Amen to that, brother. They don't make "shit" like they used to. Good thing is that old used getting thrown away "shit" is either free or cheap. And has WAY more class than that new stuff that is made to look old.

Money won't buy class.

Ahhhh. Makes me wonder what I'd do if SWMBO wasn't around. First thing to go would be the baskets and candles. 777 candles, and not ONE with a burned wick. Must mean something.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Or make do with clean quality used stuff, which I admit can be real hard to find, especially in styles you can stand. (I have a lot of used stuff, but finally gave up on the couch and chair and bought new. All the decent used stuff was way too huge for my 1960-sized living room, which is tiny by modern standards.)

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I know how you feel. I'm 61. I have a beautiful bedroom suite bought for me when I was about 5, quality and still in almost perfect condition. My mother used it in the guest room for 34 years after I left home, until 10 years ago when she died, and my brother has used it since, except one dresser that won't fit in his house. So when the weather gets warm enough to put the top down, I'm going to drive to Dallas to get it. But you know, I like all my junk furniture and it's all walnut, or maybe walnut color :) . (But no chipboard either) My child stuff is ash, which is stained light. It's going to clash with all my junk. (In the bedroom, a chest of drawers, a dresser, a 1930's floor radio cabinet, and a 1920's or early 30's record player case with 1920's or early 30's record player on top, and a bookshelf that my mother mounted casters on the top and turned upside down, that I keep next to the bed with vcr's, radios, lamp, etc. ) Not only will it clash, I have to get rid of the other chest to make room, and even though it's not much, I like it. And how can I store my spare wrenches, hammers, and rarely used tools in my beautiful dresser like I have done in the free dresser someone gave me 35 years ago.

I think I'm going to have to line the drawers I use for hardware with those advertising signs that are stuck on wire legs on public streets. I've confiscated hundreds of them.

P.S. I bought a cheap 4x8' trailer from harbor freight, had it delivered to my brother and plan to assemble it in Dallas, with the help of my 7-year old nephew when he gets home from school. I was about 6 when my grandfather came to visit, and he replaced the light switch on the stairs that went to the basement. I think that and the Lionel train is what got me interested in fixing things. 55 years later I still remember what my grampa fixed. I can almost remember watching him.

On the way down, I'm goint to look for coal miners in W.Va., Mammoth Caves in Kentucky, drive through Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, go diamond hunting in that park in Arkansas, check out Hope, Arkansas (which is only 1 minute off the road to Dallas), and on the way back, I want to stop at Lake Providence, Louisiana, on the Mississippi, where my cousin ran the general store for a long time including 1947. All of these are places I've never been before, despite 3 passes over the general area.

BTW, total eclipse of the moon Wednesday, at leas east of the Missisipi, from 8:45 PM, totality at 10:01, ends at 10:51 EST.

Reply to
mm

Steve, I think you were my neighbor......:-)

Reply to
Tim

Usually it's the other way around. A jeff foxworthy YMBAR joke: "If your lawn furniture used to be your living room furniture... YMBAR."

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I've seen and owned a lot of good furniture moved from the living room to the patio or porch. Don't know if that qualifies me as a redneck, though, as it was in an urban area. I think there are urban rednecks, too. There's Urban Cowboys.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB