Use deep discharge marine battery as emergency power source?

Page 2 of 4

Something to consider ..........
I have battery boxes that have exterior terminals, 1/4" plug-ins, cigarette lighter plug-ins, and a meter on the outside to tell you how much juice is in the battery. Don't remember where I got them, but they ARE available. Probably a boat supply house. Shop around.
Second consideration .......... get two 6v. batteries and hook together. They have thicker plates, weigh more, take charging/discharging for many more cycles than regular batteries, are about the same price, but more importantly, give you MUCH more amp hours on a charge.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend. Download the book. http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
Add pictures here
✖

Ahhh yes! This is what I'm looking for...something already pre-made!
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 30, 11:59 pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I know there has been a fair number of posts on this topic but I'd also add that oyyu might be disappointed in your marine battery backup. A smal generator is not very expensive and will run for as long as you put gas in it.
Add pictures here
✖

Generator wont work for me
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:24:39 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

generator impossible or impractical.
Add pictures here
✖

✖

Cant you avoid lead acid by buying a sealed AGM deep discharge battery?
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:05:44 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

are avaoilable as "sterved electrolyte" or AGM type batteries. Many of these batteries do not gas at all under normal load or recharge conditions (they are "recombinent chemistry" batteries or "valve regulated recombinent" batteries. Virtually all of the "portable power" systems use these batteries, including the Motomaster power-boxes.
Add pictures here
✖

Switches can cause enough spark to light the gas. Good idea to pressurize the box with a small muffin fan at the bottom of the end with the switches and connectors, and vent the box at the top of the other end

Here in Canada, Canadian Tire sells a box with the battery and inverter and 12 volt socket all built in under their "MotoMaster Eliminator" brand. Called the "powerbox 1200" with 60 AH battery. They also have smaller "powerbox 800" and "powerbox 600" units, and likely even smaller.
They are made by Xantrex, last I heard.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote in

Why not simply purchase a computer Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)?
It will probably cost you less than trying to cobble up something from bits here and there. And it will come with USB and 120VDC outlets, so you can charge your iPod as well as power ordinary light bulbs to see the iPod by.
UPSs are available at many price-points with many different runtimes.
APC is a major manufacturer of good-quality UPSs. <http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id &segmentID=1>
I've got two APC UPSs: a Back-UPS RS 1500, and Back-UPS ES 550. I often work from home, and I NEED stuff to stay up in the face of the flaky power in my area.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
✖

but...
if you want this battery only for EMERGENCY power meaning that you are going to deep discharge it once or twice a year, then you are better off cost wise buying a standard car battery not a deep discharge battery. Deep discharge batterys ARE needed for applications where they will be deeply discharged over and over. A regular car battery will survive just fine a few dozen deep discharges. Since there is a large cost savings, you can probably buy two regular car batteries for the price of one deep discharge.
In any case, as was said, the important thing is not to over or under charge it. Even a small unregulated charger if left on long enough will overcharge the battery and shorten it's life.
Mark
Add pictures here
✖

Actually I am now thinking abt FORGETTING a deep discharge battery... and instead basing some kind of system off portable rechargeable drill batteries that are LI-ON
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:42:24 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

That's a whole nuther ball game. Lead acid cells do what they do very well. LI-ion cells do what *they* do very well. I don't think there is a whole lot of overlap in what they are both suited for.
There are reasons that cars use lead acid and drills use li-ion.
What are proposing to power? How long are you guessing the emergency will last? How often will you need to supply emergency power? Will you see it coming?
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

Last maybe 4 days
Use for LED lighting MAINLY
and powering small electronic devices and recharging those devices such as cell phones, netbook etc
I realize it would be impossible to do much more than that with batteries
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 1, 10:26 am, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

connect inverter onto car battery, let vehicle idle.
its quiet, no battery to maintain and fail, fuel is in the vehicles tank. its a win win win....
Add pictures here
✖

plus with a big enough inverter like 3000 watts you can run a big load occasionally, like a furnace.
some people get a old UPS with dead battery, and hook it to their vehicle with it running, cheap way to get back up power
Add pictures here
✖

3000 watts at 12 volts is 250 amps. You will never run that off a car. Car alternators max out at 60 to 90 amps.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 12:49:03 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc

Add pictures here
✖
On 02/01/11 02:36 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've seen suggestions that many UPSes will overheat (and even catch fire) that way: no active cooling because it's assumed that they will not get too warm before the original internal battery runs flat.
Perce
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 19:43:41 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

of any value (for any significant load)they have active cooling.
Add pictures here
✖