Use 1" furnace filter instead of 5" ?

Page 1 of 3
I have a furnace built for a 25"x20"x5" filter. I've discovered these are *really* expensive compared to the 1" filters. Is there any strong reason not to use a 1" filter with some sort of space adapater in this application?
Internet searches on this have not resulted in any material articles. Any comments/suggestions appreciated!
Why not use the proper filter? An Aprilaire filter [5"] is an excellent filter, and should be changed annually at a minimum. [Honeywell also makes a similar filter.] A 1" filter is not as efficient in removing material from the air and at best should be changed monthly. To save a few bucks by using something that requires more changes, is less efficient, and ends up being "Mickey Moused" in seems less appealing to me.
--
Zyp

How hard would it be to make some sort of adapter out of metal or wood to take up the difference? I don't see why you can't use a normal 1" filter instead of a 5" filter.
And if anything, I'd pass judgement on someone using the 5" filter as being overy paranoid or succeptable to marketing gimmicks.
ACTUALLY, there is a reason they are thicker. It's called a high efficiency filter. I paid extra for that thick housing on mine. There's a reason. Use the proper filter and quit being a cheap skate.
--
Steve Barker

replying to Steve Barker LT, Allie wrote: Not a matter of being a cheap skate. I also have the 5" slot in my new ac unit. I have to change the filter every month. That's 30-40$ a month. Really pricey. Installer told me to change every 3-6 months. Can't afford that every single month. So I'm trying the 2" ones with a frame under it. What would you do?
replying to Steve Barker LT, Allie wrote: Not a matter of being a cheap skate. I also have the 5" slot in my new ac unit. I have to change the filter every month. That's 30-40$ a month. Really pricey. Installer told me to change every 3-6 months. Can't afford that every single month. So I'm trying the 2" ones with a frame under it. What would you do?
Allie pretended :

Taking someone else's advice, he decided to wait eleven years to see if it corrected itself. He's still got one year left.
On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 8:26:46 AM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

ac

eally

every

ld you

along the lines of a gauge to keep an eye on things,
I think it is a good idea to buy two probe thermometers and have them more or less permanently stuck into the ducts, one before the heater and one after. Put a mark at the normal inlet and outlet temperature readings and check them regularly. If the before and after readings are normal, that is a pretty good indication that your system is operating normally. Works for AC as w ell. You can get one for the flue as well but of course it will need a hig her range.
mark
replying to FromTheRafters, Allie wrote: Ok so I didn't notice his post was from 2006..let's move on. Can a 2" work with an adapter? Need help, not scarcaism. And I'm a woman, not a man.
On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:14:05 AM UTC-4, Allie wrote:

How can anyone answer a general question like that? There are many manufacturers of filter housings and filters and many sizes. In theory you would think you could fabricate some kind of holder to get a thinner filter in there. Or maybe there is a size that goes right in. Have a measuring tape? But what it takes is going to depend on what exactly you have. Also, realize that you're going to live with more dirt getting through and/or the filter getting clogged faster. Those 5" media trap finer particles, but they also have much greater surface area.
replying to trader_4, Allie wrote: An ac company that has many years experience. Check out their site. Filter factory.com

The filter material is fan folded, so by using a thinner filter, you are reducing the surface area available for air to flow through. The net effect is that dust will restrict airflow much faster, and require changing far more often.
On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 1:10:41 PM UTC-4, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

its like changing your oil
it's more important that you check it and change it when needed compared to worrying about what exact brand or type you use...
if you check your filter often and change when needed, almost anything will work fine m
replying to makolber, Allie wrote: Thank you, I agree. I'm changing a $40 filter every 4 weeks. I can just as easy change a 1" one in a month. I found a " air sponge " filter I like. With an aluminum frame. Filter factory.com. going to try it. Can return if doesn't work.
replying to Arthur Conan Doyle, Allie wrote: Found a merv 8, air sponge filter going to try. Has to be better than these 5" expensive things. Its not normal that it should freeze up unit cause filter is dirty. Only after a month.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I would keep the better filtering capability. Of course I have allergies.
You can use a cheap 1" filter. You likely should replace it more often and it will not provide a good a filtering job, but any good 1" filter will protect your furnace, which is the first reason for a filter. You will need to make some sort of adapter to hold it and fit the spot.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

could he use 4 or 5 1" filters? :) less adapter needed then. (I say 4, since the packaging might not be exactly 1") the ones further from the front will have less particulate.
This may induce less flowrate if the 5" has the same amount of air resistance as 1 1" filter, though.
--
May no harm befall you,
flip
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Perhaps you could use 5 of the 1" variety, and cycle them (replace the front one and add a new one to the back whenever the pack needs refreshing).
CJT wrote:

Not good. The additional air resistance could damage your air handler.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit