UPS... new battery or replace?

Page 4 of 4
mike wrote:

Don't know there, certainly he should shop around for price.

He indicated a new UPS for the PC, not the router. The old PC UPS would be moved to the router.

The purpose of the UPS is to provide time to either:
1. Perform a clean shutdown
2. Start and transfer to a generator

As I noted in my other post, it comes down to quality. If the UPS with dead batteries is a high quality unit, it's likely worth replacing the batteries. If the UPS is a cheap unit it's likely better to just replace the whole thing.

Many of us have equipment in multiple locations in the house. Short of wiring in dedicated outlets around the house wired to a single large UPS, it is most practical to have multiple smaller UPSes.

HOW does 750 VA(IOW,watts) translate to "3/4 Kilowatt"?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

750 watt = 3/4 x 1000 watt = 3/4 kWatt
--
Best regards
Han

Apologies,brain malfunction.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

It doesn't. 750 VA does not generally equal 750 W, it depends on the power factor. UPS typically get rated by VA or KVA capacity at an ideal 1.0 power factor, however since most loads are less then 1.0 power factor the UPS's real world capacity in Watts is less than it's rating in VA. Thus a 750 VA UPS is more like 500W capacity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilovolt-ampere