Unlock your car with a string

Page 1 of 3
This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done it?
http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String
I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and broke the drivers' window.

I worked for about ten years on the Las Vegas Strip as a parking attendant. We had lots of people locking their keys in the cars. We'd give them the spiel of, "Well, we can give the locksmith a call, but it will cost you $100 or more, but we MIGHT be able to get it open........................ Mind if we try?" Except for Mercedes, RR, and Corvettes, I didn't have a problem with most of them, and a lot were very very easy. Governor Miller was the worst. He'd say, "I did it again.........", and we'd just wave him on. "Don't worry, we'll take care of it." Lincolns take about five seconds to get into the back door. Most are surprisingly easy with a slim Jim, or a piece of precisely bent SS filler rods. If you don't panic, and use logic, it takes a real doofus to use a rock to enter a lockout. A couple of wood shims are the most valuable items.
Steve

Yup. Just something to give you a little air space between the glass and gasket so you don't leave marks or damage.
Steve

I was dumb enough to lock myself out of mine 2 days ago. The window was down about an inch.
Tried the string and it failed. A coat hanger with a loop, allowed me to roll the window down enough to get my arm in. Yes I don't have power windows!
Colbyt
On 11/1/2011 9:17 PM, Colbyt wrote:

rosin or maybe bees wax. Or instead of string, use a piece of thin insulated electrical wire, probably not the Teflon variety.

One vehicle I have will not let me lock if the key is still in the ignition switch. The other vehicle I have a extra key in my billfold that will let me unlock the door. WW
WW wrote:

Mine chimes at me, and that's enough to get me to put the keys in my mouth.
Jon
On 11/2/2011 5:16 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

fob is left in the car, even in the trunk, you can't lock the car, nohow, not even with another key fob. I can see it now, a problem in the electronics module in the car, might not let you lock your car.
On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 19:57:54 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

and holding the handle up when closing??? At least one of my old cars worked that way. Used to keep a spare key on the air filter stud under the hood (inside the air filter) that would open the doors. Kept spare ignition key hidden inside.

My Toyota was like that, but the beeping when I had the door open and the key in the ignition (and the radio on iirc) drove me crazy, and since I couldn't find the beeper, I disconnected the key switch.
Now I'm on my own.

I should do that. Do they still sell the "credit card" like things that fold out two keys?

If that is a true story, that is one of the biggest morons I've ever heard of of. And what do you mean by "lucky for him the windshield wouldn't break"?

Well, generally the windshield is the most expensive piece of glass on any car, and the hardest to replace (at least on a late model car, as they're typically all glued in now.) On a car with a large glass hatch, I suppose that might be more expensive, but still. Oh, and how are you gonna drive home with a bigass hole in the windshield, unless you happen to have a pair of goggles in the glovebox? seriously.
If you're gonna bust something, bust a door window or quarter window (assuming the latter is the gasketed type.) Also those will shatter cleanly and not spiderweb but stay in place like a windshield.
nate

Just carry a cordless drill with a 1 inck bit, and a stick of dynamite in your wallet. Drill a hole in any door, inset the dynamite, light it, and the door will come off in seconds. :)
Seriously, carry a spare key in your wallet....
On Nov 2, 4:50am, "Stormin Mormon"

I pulled into the lot where I was cutting wood a few years ago. Guy sitting at the entrance "can I tryi your key? I locked mine in hte cab". No go, locksmith showed up finally. I showed him my spare in the billfold.
Harry K

We do real estate reserve studies, which are a professional analysis of properties where HOA dues are collected. I have a set of slim Jims, picklocks, and various specialty wires to evaluate the level of protection offered by the lock systems. Understandably, it goes from 0-10 on a scale. I must admit that I need to put a car slim Jim in there so that I can help out the occasional hapless driver. I can pick a Quickset lock, or some lower quality locks with two paper clips. At times, they do not provide us the keys to the pool pump rooms due to incompetence, so we just let ourselves in, wearing our badge and state issued IDs.
Steve
On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 07:11:54 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Some people just dont understand..... Spare car door key goes in wallet. spare ignition key goes inside of car in a hidden place, and includes a spare key for your garage. Inside your garage, there should be a hidden spare key for your house. If you have trouble remembering stuff, put a note in your wallet telling you where all these keys are located, but write it in a code that another person wont understand, if your wallet is lost or stolen.
The only problem now, is where to hide the key for your wallet :)
On Nov 2, 4:25pm, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Talk about "don't understand..."
Most cars only have one key that operates both the door and the ignition. I haven't had a 2-key car since the 1988 Chevy.
On Nov 2, 4:56pm, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

I've never owned a car that had a different key for the door and ignition. Different key for the trunk on a few cars.
On 11/2/2011 2:10 PM, Ron wrote:

my 96 vette has 2 different keys: one for the door, one for the ignition. a 95 zr1 has 3 different keys: one for the door, one for the ignition, and one to turn on the extra bank of injectors. you don't give the last one to the valet...