Uneven step on stair landing - perhaps done on purpose?

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 01:53:41 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

The only person who can answer this is the builder. I'd contact him and ask. If this is an old house and the builder is dead, I'd have him dug up from his grave. Then get some DNA samples. Maybe some DNA samples run thru a computer could reveal his thoughts. Just be sure the computer is a Macintosh, because Microsoft computers are obsolete before you buy them. Also, when the builder is dug up, see if his leg bones are the same length. He might have been a stubbie, pogo, zeffer, or have a longer middle leg than the other two, which would have made him a tripod!!!! (and every tripod knows that the middle leg hits the stair first when turning corners).
Best reply of the week.

The only person who can answer this is the builder. I'd contact him and ask. If this is an old house and the builder is dead, I'd have him dug up from his grave. Then get some DNA samples. Maybe some DNA samples run thru a computer could reveal his thoughts. Just be sure the computer is a Macintosh, because Microsoft computers are obsolete before you buy them.
Also, when the builder is dug up, see if his leg bones are the same length. He might have been a stubbie, pogo, zeffer, or have a longer middle leg than the other two, which would have made him a tripod!!!! (and every tripod knows that the middle leg hits the stair first when turning corners).

Sounds a bit like it was a dimensional allowance for some sort of special flooring on the landing that never got installed...

Or in a log house. Every door, window and stair has to allwo for shrinkage as the logs dry. My BIl in Canada built one and had a "tripper" as the last riser on the top. No matter how many times I went up it was always a "stutter" as it used it.
Harry K

I doubt it. There's also a lower landing 2 steps off of the living room floor. The hardwood flooring on both landings matches the living room floor and all the treads are stained the same color. I doubt the upper landing alone was planned to be a different material.
Besides, if a "special flooring" was installed to make the last step *onto* the landing match the others, then that would have resulted in a short riser for the first step *off* of the landing as you continue up to the hallway. In other words, the problem would simply have been moved up one step.