Hardwood stair on plywood?

Can I replace a carpet stair with a wood stair?

It seems pretty straightforward, except that the treades have

1" nose sticking out of risers. If I add a 1" hard wood on top of the original 1" thick plywood treads, then I'll have 2" thick of treads. How do I cover that 2" of thickness that is parallel to the riser?

YJ

Reply to
Yi Jin

Hi,

You need to get a prefab wooden stair tread with an overhanging lip.

candice

Reply to
CLSSM00X7

ARE you looking for prefab stairtreds i make them and ship anywhere for a price!

your a sweetheart call me

Reply to
HARSCHFLOORLAYER

Ole Harsh floor layer should have told you don't do what you propose, except he been sniffing to much glue and just wants to sell you some treads.

If you add to your existing treads, you will through the rise off at the bottom step and top step, a sure fire way to trip someone up. You want equal rise on all your stairs.

Reply to
Spoof

In article , Spoof wrote: >

I am trying to replace the carpet with hardwood. I suppose the carpet on the stairs have some thickness too. Can I use a thin treads to replace the carpet then?

To solve my original problem of covering up the cross section of the plywood, Maybe I can use a 1" thick wood riser to fill nosed out plywood, and use 1/2" (or 3/8") thick treads that will stick out hardwood treads. Then place something like shoe moding under the hardwood tread nose, to cover the plywood cross section. Is that doable?

I am not sure if I can find that kind of moding (1"x 0.5" quarter rund) or (1" x 3/8") though. If you know any place that sells that of stuff, let me know.

Thanks.

YJ

Reply to
Yi Jin

Certainly it is possible to attach a tread on the top of each tread. You can even cover the edges.

But when you get all done, you will trip when going up or down those steps -- twice each time. Once when your legs feel the bottom step being too tall, and again when they feel the top step being too short.

And note that in most areas, that silly little 1 inch difference is a violation of the building code.

Reply to
YesMaam27577

Assuming you just add to the stairs.

If you are adding hardwood floors (same thickness) at the top of the stairs and perhaps in a foyer at the bottom, the relationship remains the same. Of course if you are doing the floors and not the stairs, you end up in the opposite situation you describe. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski