Underground sprinkler valve vaults

I am putting in a water filter for my ag water line. I need to put it in a large sized box, the kind usually associated with water sprinkler valves.

In the wintertime, how much protection do these afford to a filter full of water? They don't turn off the water completely, just reduce the pressure a lot. I have never had any problems with my sprinkler vaults freezing.

Just wondering if I need to take any steps to protect the filter. It will be under ground level in a covered plastic vault.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have no experience with an exterior filter, but if you're concerned why couldn't you remove the filter and take it in for the winter?

The vault box will not freeze-proof anything. Without an additional heat source, or trying to go with something akin to a frost-protected foundation (insulation above the box to trap heat coming out through the foundation and the 'basal' soil temperature, inside the box will be at the same temperature as just outside the box.

RicodJour

Not much. But obviously a lot depends on what we don't know, ie where you are. Probably fine for FL, where it can dip below freezing for short periods and a disaster in NY.

Then it sounds like you know the answer.

Reply to
trader4