Underground Sprinkler System

Help Please!

I hired a man to do some repairs to my main sprinkler valves. The problem we are having now is that with the four lines, I can run only three from inside the house which is done by a sprinkler timer box. The fourth line won't come on. It also will not come on if I personally move the lever from outside.

The man is coming back Monday and thinks I may need a need sprinkler timer box, and that maybe one of the wires for the line that is not working is shot.

I am thinking that one of the valves needs to be replaced.

I don't think it is an electrical problem as three lines are just fine.

I hope this makes sense, and that someone can give me some advice.

Many thanks.

Corinne

Reply to
Corinne

It's possibly an electrical problem. The line to the valves has at least 5 wires in it, and one could be broken.

Try switching the valve wires swapping zone 2 with zone 4 and see if zone 4 comes on when zone 2 is activated.

If that doesn't work, it's probably a bad valve or a bad solenoid.

It is also possible that zone 4 in the timer simply doesn't work. Can it be moved to zone 5?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Older systems have brass electric valves which can be rebuilt , dont let someone replace them , the old ones are better

Reply to
m Ransley

The irrigation man can test the voltage at the output of the timer for the zone in question, to see if the timer/transformer is putting out voltage to that zone. If it does show voltage, then he will go out and check for voltage at the END of the wire for that zone (where it attaches to the valve.) If no voltage, then of course it is a wiring problem. If not, it is a valve problem, or a valve solenoid.

The suggestion to switch the wire from a known-working valve is also a good method. If the switched wire (from a zone now working ok) powers up the valve, then you know you don't have a valve problem, and you concentrate on the wiring or the timer/transformer.

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper