Uncuttable phone wires?

Page 3 of 3
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:08:38 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE

When I worked in a supermarket years ago, we were instructed to open all of the register cash drawers at the end of the day -- they were empty (the tills with cash were locked in the safe), but another store in the chain had a breakin with thousands of dollars of damage to the registers before the would-be theives found out they were empty.
Josh

re: "opened all of the register cash drawers at the end of the day"
We did the same thing, for the same reason, in a small corner pharmacy when I was a teenager.
It may have saved the cash register, but it didn't help the owner. Sometime after I left to join the service, my mom sent me an article about how they found the owner face down on the floor, his hands tied behind his back, a single bullet hole in the back of his head.
I wonder if it had anything to do with the small brown bags of cash (which I wasn't supposed to know was cash) that I occasionally delivered to cigar smoking guys in the car wash across the street.

My dad ran a bar for 44 years, he always left the cash register open and a $20 in it. Hoping that if they did break in they would just take the money and leave without breaking anything. Sure enough one night two guys broke in took the twenty but instead of leaving they decided to have a party in the bar. The next morning he found them passed out on the pool table. They were still asleep when the police woke them up.
Jimmie
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:49:07 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,

Oh, please. How do two guys get that wasted with only twenty bucks?
--

Don\'t worry about people stealing an idea. If it\'s original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
Steve Daniels wrote:

They didn't leave a tip?
--
PB
"I suspect you\'re an arrogant little pissant who grew up in the
Steve Daniels wrote:

up the bottles when they leave.
-- aem sends...

Bottom Shelf Vodka
Not quite Darwin candidates, but close.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Jun 12, 2:30pm, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Wouldn't that be a little heavy for the portion of the phone line running from the pole to the building?
Might need a some steel cable as a support.

I have a dummy box with wires going to it down low but the wires come inside up high with box inside. Actualy I just kept the low box and had the wires tapped and run inside. If you are expecting something then there are cell systems which are best, but last time I looked years ago they were very expensive.
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:15:20 -0700 (PDT), ransley

My alarm guy friend installs quite a few burglar alarms that use cell phones. There is a problem for him, but I forget what it is. It may be that with real phones he can call up the customers burglar alarm from his own office and disable zones and set all the settings but it might be harder or impossible with cell-phone-simulator (I don't think it looks like the thing you carry in your pocket).
Prices are going down on this sort of thing all the time, call and see.
Or use some sort of decoy, especially one that when cut, sets off the burglar alarm.
I ddon't remember if I did this, because I live in a medium priced house in an all residential n'hood and my siren is two stories high but I sort of got caught up in the whole thing and did more than I need. Burglars also cut the wire to sirens, so I have an outdoor siren with four wires in the sheath, two for the siren and two that make a loop that when cut sets off the alarm. Then there is an indoor siren in the attic that still runs and the noise goes out the soffit vents etc.
In article <dc441393-2f87-400e-8f73-1267ea78c4f7

There is no law that says the service box has to be exterior. Just move it inside the house. Most commercial buildings have a telephone entrance in a service closet, you can do the same. Of course, you will have to be home for any service calls, to allow them access. Then, as long as all your lines are buried, the phone will be pretty impervious.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Larry Caldwell wrote:

The phone company I've dealt with, AT&T formerly BellSouth will not install an interior network interface at a residence. It's a company policy that probably has to do with access. A business will almost always be open during business hours and the telephone tech can get to the RJ21X. A homeowner may not always be home to let a tech in.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Same with Verizon. The demarc point on a new residential install is always outside.

if its a overhead drop a polwe tree trimmer can take it out in under a minute.
just harden as best you can and put up a dummy security camera with warning signs.
you dont need to make it impossible to disrupt phone, just more trouble than its worth

Lately, I've been thinking that a phone is more trouble than it's worth!