Uh oh...Hurricane Sandy headed right for me

Oven will not light unless we have electricity to run a fan inside of it. Burners can be lit with a match.
I've worked on gas ranges, with electric hot surface ignitor, for the oven. Match won't do the job, the gas valve is also electric for the oven.
Like you say, range top burners light with match.
Oven will not light unless we have electricity to run a fan inside of it. Burners can be lit with a match.
On 10/29/2012 5:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

During a tornado fly by years ago, we were only ones on our street with gas for heat and cooking...whole neighborhood came by for showers and to cook..fun. Had a temp. resident, elderly lady whose home was damaged....up early and drank coffee hotter than anyone I've ever seen. We went for a ride after a couple of days and drove by a cousin's chicken factory without recognizing it was their place...National Guard was out picking up their chickens 'cause the tornado took off the end of their buildings.
I've used votive candles on a shelf in the oven to heat food; Beanie Weenies, power shut off, 40F.
Get to the MAC machine and max it out. If the ATM's go down and card readers at the store, cash will be king. Put it back later if not needed. I went yesterday. NorthEastern PA. Tomorrow is recycle pick up day. I can't wait to see what idiot neighbors live nearby.

I don't get it. How will you tell?

iI wish I had a gas stove. No gas for 100 yards.

The typeface I use for Usenet displays rn and it looks just like m So I thought you had a tomato fly by. Sounded exciting.

That's quite some tomato.

One year when I was a political campagin worker staying in a basically empty apartment, I used sterno and a grill to cook. I had to move the can around to cook any food bigger than 2 inches, but other than that, it worked. I don't remember if there was a slight sterno taste to the food or not.

Propane. Two 100# tanks in the back of the house. They come once a year to fill them.

Does it matter that it's 150 feet or so to the street, and I have no driveway?

Probably not. They can either bring a 100 pound tank or pull the hose from the truck. I don't know how long the hoses are, but I bet he can get close enough.

Okay. Good.
Call the propane companies near you, and ask.
Usenet readers may or may not know what they are talking about. Ed P, knows his stuff. I've sensed that, over the years.

Okay. Good.
Sure beats being hungry, and having only cold food. Very good idea.

One year when I was a political campagin worker staying in a basically empty apartment, I used sterno and a grill to cook. I had to move the can around to cook any food bigger than 2 inches, but other than that, it worked. I don't remember if there was a slight sterno taste to the food or not.
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:18:43 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
It was sort of fun, too.

Think cheap 12 volt inverter and a battery.
I have a set of deep cycle golf cart batteries on the porch and a big inverter with a standby gen set to recharge if needed.
I am also not totally sure why. But, the cashiers at my local grocery say they sold a lot of water. Me, I save my juice and soda pop bottles, and refill them off the tap. That works, for me.
I buy bottled water for work projects when I'll hand out water. I can hand out sealed, single serving size water, and people know it's clean and safe to drink.
I'm in South Jersey (West side, near Camden).
I keep hearing the Governor and everyone else saying to stock up on water. I am wondering why. Like you, I have public water, and I have never been without running water during any storm ever in my lifetime, even when there is a power outage. Same for natural gas. It's not like we are expecting an earthquake that could break water lines and gas lines.
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 05:27:17 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Bottled water seems to keep better than stuff you bottle at home. I suppose it is because bottled water is sterilized as are the bottles.
It is best to just watch for sales and buy bottled water then
We usually have 10-12 cases sitting around all summer, just for the hurricane season. I also keep both freezers packed with bottles of water topping it up when we have a storm coming. Those will hold the fridge for quite a while, they are handy in a cooler and in the end, they are still drinking water.
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 11:38:01 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I don't find that to be so. I've bottled my own tap water into big apple juice bottles and diet soda bottles, and it keeps for months even with no change in taste. Maybe it's the water around here, which comes fromt hree reservoirs.
But I'm not saving water because of rain and wind. I only do this when a repair to the water main. is scheduled. We have a lot of those because the builder didn't use flexible water main pipe, and the gravel he laid the pipe on was probably not small enough either.

I have regular water shortages, in my street. Same deal, old pipes, and not well maintained.
I don't find that to be so. I've bottled my own tap water into big apple juice bottles and diet soda bottles, and it keeps for months even with no change in taste. Maybe it's the water around here, which comes fromt hree reservoirs.
But I'm not saving water because of rain and wind. I only do this when a repair to the water main. is scheduled. We have a lot of those because the builder didn't use flexible water main pipe, and the gravel he laid the pipe on was probably not small enough either.
I wondered if the bottles split, when the water expands, forming ice. Guess not, or people would say so.
Bottled water seems to keep better than stuff you bottle at home. I suppose it is because bottled water is sterilized as are the bottles.
It is best to just watch for sales and buy bottled water then
We usually have 10-12 cases sitting around all summer, just for the hurricane season. I also keep both freezers packed with bottles of water topping it up when we have a storm coming. Those will hold the fridge for quite a while, they are handy in a cooler and in the end, they are still drinking water.
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:17:56 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Nope, those half liter bottles do fine in the freezer, the only problem is the bottom rounds out and they won't stand up again, even after they thaw out. They won't ever get back to flat.
We always end up with a couple dozen frozen at the end of hurricane season. I rotate them through the cooler and back into the fridge throughout the winter boating season. A couple in the cooler will keep the beer cold for hours. They are also good if you are packing sandwiches since they don't fill the cooler with water and drown the sandwiches as they melt,