Uh oh...Hurricane Sandy headed right for me

Page 1 of 4
Latest forecast has Sandy hitting land between Atlantic City and Sea Girt, NJ. I'm just a few miles inland from Sea Girt.
Oh well, I've done all I can to prep. Niow it's just waiting....
I agree, the waiting is often the worst part. I'm too far north for major damage, but my part of the world (western NYS) has had power cuts often enough.
Best wishes, hope all works out OK for you. Please be kind enough to feed, water, coffee, and otherwise take care of the power company crews. They will be over worked, and will appreciate the attention.
Latest forecast has Sandy hitting land between Atlantic City and Sea Girt, NJ. I'm just a few miles inland from Sea Girt.
Oh well, I've done all I can to prep. Niow it's just waiting....

They're union thugs, just like the police & fire. Over paid and pensions are killing the tax payers. We need more minimum wage people to help restore America.
God Bless Mitt!
On 10/28/2012 5:06 PM, Larry Q. wrote:

Mitt for President. Of Haiti.
He could downsize the country by half, send the non working half to Miami, and greatly increase the profit margin?
Mitt for President. Of Haiti.

I don't know....
I think hard working folks deserve good pay, perhaps even more so compared to highly paid executives and politicians.
Mark

Amen.
--
Best regards
Han

Is your freezer packed with bottled water yet? If not, get going
I'd forgtten that one. Thanks. I'll get right on it.

Is your freezer packed with bottled water yet? If not, get going
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 12:38:31 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I'm on the windy side. I cancelled second shift at work tomorrow, but I'm probably going to send everyone home at noon if we even show up. My wife made an extra pot of coffee or two as it is easier to reheat than to brew.
Only limit is the gas range oven. We can use the cooktop and we have city water that has backup power.

I'm in South Jersey (West side, near Camden).
I keep hearing the Governor and everyone else saying to stock up on water. I am wondering why. Like you, I have public water, and I have never been without running water during any storm ever in my lifetime, even when there is a power outage. Same for natural gas. It's not like we are expecting an earthquake that could break water lines and gas lines.

Water systems can be easily disabled as the result of storms (BTDT) ditto gas service especially if the storm damages the lines. Even if it does not if the powers that be get itchy about that possibility they have been known to cut off the supply against the possibility of damage.
If you do lose water service you can tap the water in the toilet holding tank (typically 2-5 gal) and the hot water heater which can be as much as 50 gal.
if you have a gas stove that can be adapted (best done before need) to run on LPG.
Our main location in NOLA was equipped to run for 30+ days on LPG and had sufficient water for the same period. (restocked by rain which is often the only 'utility' still working during a storm.
NotMe wrote:

It's a bit late now, but there is a product called a WaterBOB or similar which is a food grade plastic bag shaped to fit a standard bathtub that you can fill with some 80 gal or so of water and have it stay clean and drinkable. Comes with a siphon pump that fits the port on the bag for easy dispensing. Not very expensive <$50 with the pump I believe.
(Web page says out of stock, be back in stock late in May 2012)
I ran across this for drinking water storage. Not sure there is any real advantage to just filling the tub.
https://www.waterbob.com/Information.do?forward=home
The waterBOB is a water containment system that holds up to 100 gallons of fresh drinking water in any standard bathtub. But, you won't be able to shower, till the Water Bob is taken out.
Would someone or several someones measure your bath tub, for me. Length, width, depth. Last time I measured the tub at my parents house, it was under 50 gallons.
.
It's a bit late now, but there is a product called a WaterBOB or similar which is a food grade plastic bag shaped to fit a standard bathtub that you can fill with some 80 gal or so of water and have it stay clean and drinkable. Comes with a siphon pump that fits the port on the bag for easy dispensing. Not very expensive <$50 with the pump I believe.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

There is, the WaterBOB is sealed, which means that the water inside it remains potable even if the roof is leaking and dripping in the bathroom.

Good idea. As someone said in another post kitty litter bottles do a good job. One of my kids runs a mobile catering service and has a load of food grade plastic bags (5/10 and 20 gal) that he uses for jobs. Works as emergency back up for the house.
One of my grand kids mentioned the water bed but since that's not been emptied/refilled for how long (?) not sure I'd want to chance that.

I hope the pump is not eletric. Just works off gravity.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
NotMe wrote:

Caution: Water in a water heater is sometimes contaminated with bacteria and should be used only for washing things. If you HAVE to drink water from a water heater, sterilize it first by boiling or adding 2-3 drops of bleach per gallon (quart?).
On 10/29/2012 7:45 AM, HeyBub wrote:

clipper and lots of leftovers to save money. Filled her bathtub with water prior to a hurricane. No difficulties in her locale during the storm. She used the water from the tub for cooking for days afterward to save money :o)

Does it run a turbine?

I think the rain can brake the pipes. If the pipes are 12 or 18" deep, imagine how much weight is on them when the ground above is saturated with water.

JK