Two way gate lock?

I need to replace a gate that goes into my back yard. I have a pool, so the gate needs to be tall. One thing that we discovered with the old gate was that it's a pain to unlock the gate from the front, as the padlock sits on the back. I was wondering if anyone has heard of any locking mechanism that would allow me to unlock the gate easily from either side of the fence (even if it has to be built in). I'd like to avoid keys if possible.
Thanks,
John
julvr wrote:

How about a combination type lock, like a pad lock that hangs down so you can pull it towards the inside or outside?
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1879989190.1113179118@@@@&BV_EngineIDdfaddegefgddicgelceffdfgidgkj.0&MID76
I am not sure I would trust it for a pool however. You know kids would pass around the combination and in a week every 5 year old in the neighborhood would know it. Keys, at least you can track.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia\'s Muire duit
I have seen latches that do exactly what you want. They latch from either side, so the gate can swing either way. They also lock. How about doing a Google search on "gate latch" or gate hardware? I'll bet you get some good ideas. Another option would be to visit the showroom of a good fence company. Tom
John,
I am new to this board but found it from a long and exhausting search for a two-way gate latch. Please let me know if you were able to locate anything. All I can find is horse gate latches which won't work for me. I need something that will latch either way you swing the gate. I have a standard wooden gate between concrete (cinder block) walls. Please feel free to email me snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
Thanks
Simon
julvr Wrote: > I need to replace a gate that goes into my back yard. I have a pool,

--
SimonY

There is plenty for Cyclone Fencing. Maybe bolt a Pole to the edge of the gate and use one of those? We have one for our Pool that works well.
Scott<-