Bird Nesting

Problem: bird nests in gutters.

History: house was built in 1993 and gutter on front gable extends 8-10 inches under the eave to butt up against siding.

Birds have a "natural" shelter from wind/rain/etc under within this recessed area. I've tried a couple of things to discourage them by removing the nesting material soon after it's brought in but they keep rebuilding.

are there any "bird repellent" type things I can do to keep them from rebuilding? This is a constant problem and I'm afraid the buildup could result in water/ice damage if left alone.

Reply to
Acquirer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@cableone.net says... :) Problem: bird nests in gutters. :) :) History: house was built in 1993 and gutter on front gable extends 8-10 :) inches under the eave to butt up against siding. :) :) Birds have a "natural" shelter from wind/rain/etc under within this :) recessed area. I've tried a couple of things to discourage them by :) removing the nesting material soon after it's brought in but they keep :) rebuilding. :) :) are there any "bird repellent" type things I can do to keep them from :) rebuilding? This is a constant problem and I'm afraid the buildup could :) result in water/ice damage if left alone. :) You can find repellents that fit in caulk guns at home depot/ hardware type stores. Bird away and Hot Foot are a couple of brands, but they are all about the same. Only use a small bead for when it gets hot in the Summer, it can get runny and drip on the house or foliage.

Reply to
Lar

How about putting up some hardware cloth, or wire mesh, before they start to fall in love with that location? Just tack it up for nesting season. Tom

Reply to
Milwaukee Tom

Why not put up some bird houses in nearby trees or on telephone poles. I'm sure they would prefer them to the gutters.

Just be sure to get the ones with properly sized holes -- too big and you'll have house sparrows take over instead of the native birds.

Reply to
DaveR

It's spring. Birds need a home for baby birds. You can help by being a good landlord.

Failing that, get a owl decoy at a sporting goods store.

Reply to
HeyBub

I like a combo of ideas already offered: Put out a proper birdhouse and then cover the area of gutter with screen.

I think you also could something in the gutter to fill the space that the birds use. A jar or bottle for instance.

Reply to
Hopkins

"Lar" wrote

Hey Lar,

Thanks for this information, if the OP doesn't give this a try, I know I will sometime this summer.

Reply to
johnny

Reply to
Rob Mills