TV Speaker Recommendtaion

I purchased a Samsung HDTV (model LN46A540) and am looking for recommendations for:

- External speakers, and

- Wireless Headphones

I am not interested in a massive "home theater" but just better audio performance than that available from the TV. I'm guessing a three speaker system. Anyone have suggestions as to type of system, brand suggestions or brand to avoid?

Thanks

Reply to
nospamplse

I have a set of 900mz RCA wireless headphones that work great. I can hear the TV anywhere in the yard. That is handy when I put on one of the cable music channels and cut the grass.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks for the informed recommendation.

Reply to
nospamplse

Hmm, First I'd add amplified sub woofer with cross over adjustment. You hook it onto a left channel audio output jack and see if that is enough for you. Any good brand speakers like Polk, KEF, Infinity, Bose, B&W, Altec Lansing, Boston Acoustics, etc. Hope TV audio amp has at least 10W power for decent external speaker volume. And try to match speaker impedance.(4 Ohm, 8 Ohm, etc.)

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No need to be massive, but you can get some good surround sound systems at about the price of a good three speaker system. Watching the news it does not matter, but a football or baseball game or movie is incredibly better. I don't want to give specific brands because I've not looked at them since buying mine a few years ago but take a little time and listen to one in a store. Given that you have a nice HDTV, don't hold back on the sound. Get all the enjoyment you can. Start at about $400. You can also use the system with your stereo.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a pair of KLH bookshelf speakers that have been with me since college. I'm not an audiophile but they sound good to me. The thing about speakers is size really does matter, so with a "bookshelf" or smaller speaker you really need a subwoofer to fill in the bass frequencies, otherwise it'll still sound tinny even though the sound quality over the frequency range that they work at is good.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hi, When you select a speaker, for same physical size, the heavier, the better meaning speaker has bigger magnet. If you are handy at running cables,etc. I'd get a package deal for surround AV amp and spekaers. Wire them all up, set it up, enjoy. And a remote to control everything with one touch. That's what I have. Specially remote, wife always complained with mu;tiple remote. When I gave her one remote which does it all. She is so happy now. When you run wires to the speakers watch the phasing. If they are not in phase sound will suffer.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have Athena speakers in my theater room. These speakers are low-end professional quality with nice solid connections and wall-mounting hardware. Best to hear and compare speaker sound before you buy, because it's the sound that counts. Surprisingly, Bose speakers sound like crap, outrageously priced, and I see people buying them like hotcakes. Wireless is improving but still not too good for the best sound.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi, Bose by design is very inefficient type. It needs lot of power to sound decent. I never owned Bose.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I used a spare set of computer speakers/amplifier for mine - worked great and I have a surround sound system on the cheap.

Did the same thing out in the garage to pipe music around - worked well there too.

Reply to
Twayne

Check out AudioEngine speakers too:

Dan

Sennheiser HDR 140 is what I have. They work well... COSTCO

Reply to
Rudy

I would just use left over stereo speakers. There may be a recession coming.

(In my bathroom mounted on a board in the corner of the ceiling I have a woofer/tweeter combination from a 1930's record player. Connected to the tv and sounds pretty good. I've been using them for about 35 years, in my apt. in NY and my house near Baltimore._

Reply to
mm

You plug a transmitter into the speaker jacks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Rudy

Thanks.

D>> I purchased a Samsung HDTV (model LN46A540) and am looking for - Wireless

nospamplse

Thanks. Tough commute. I did it for four years.

Reply to
nospamplse

Well, in my case it was 12 years in Brooklyn, 9 with the speakers in the bathroom, and 26 in Baltimore. You're a strong man.

I liked the speakers so much I took them with me when I left the apartment. I guess I would have had to remove them regardless, although I didn't remove the outside shelf for the air conditioner (so I wouldn't drop it from the fifth floor when I was putting it in or out (like happened in Seinfeld's apartment) or the one outside the kitchen window where I used to charcoal grill The second was only 12 inches by 16 inches. Once when I shut the window during the lighter fluid stage, I broke the window from the heat, and one time the people next door called to say perhaps the apartment was on fire. But the other 20 or 30 times it worked fine.

Reply to
mm

Thanks Ed!!!

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Sennheiser has great sound, top rated by CR IIRC. Pricey but worth it.

Joe

Saw those today at the audiologist, and TV Ears, too. TV Ears, maybe Senheiser has the ability of picking up movie signals 95 m(k)hz(cycles,whatever), allowing you to use them at theaters, too.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I bought a pair of Sennheiser in the late 60's, at then the unheard of price of $60. They were the first earphones I had seen that didn't cup the ears and make it feel like you'd been pounded in the head by two huge clapping hands after half an hour. They had foam pads and sat on the outside of the ears, the pads being about two inches round. Listening to room sounds at the same time as recorded sounds was unique at that time. They sounded GREAT! Got separated from them somewhere over the years.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB