TV Speaker Recommendtaion

Page 1 of 2
I purchased a Samsung HDTV (model LN46A540) and am looking for recommendations for: - External speakers, and - Wireless Headphones
I am not interested in a massive "home theater" but just better audio performance than that available from the TV. I'm guessing a three speaker system. Anyone have suggestions as to type of system, brand suggestions or brand to avoid?
Thanks
On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 12:42:22 -0500, nospamplse

I have a set of 900mz RCA wireless headphones that work great. I can hear the TV anywhere in the yard. That is handy when I put on one of the cable music channels and cut the grass.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thanks for the informed recommendation.
nospamplse wrote:

First I'd add amplified sub woofer with cross over adjustment. You hook it onto a left channel audio output jack and see if that is enough for you. Any good brand speakers like Polk, KEF, Infinity, Bose, B&W, Altec Lansing, Boston Acoustics, etc. Hope TV audio amp has at least 10W power for decent external speaker volume. And try to match speaker impedance.(4 Ohm, 8 Ohm, etc.)
on 1/4/09 3:21 PM Tony Hwang said the following:

Check out AudioEngine speakers too: www.audioengineusa.com

Bose is overpriced JUNK!
On 01/05/09 07:43 pm Ron wrote:

Never owned any Bose myself, but I read a suggestion that the name is an a acronym for
Buy Other Sound (Stereo) Equipment
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

the 'quality' brand names we remember from our youth, the brand name got sold off, and is now placed on (high end) pacific rim products. I about sobbed when I saw 'Advent' on cheap generic televisions at Wally World a few years ago.
-- aem sends...

They were never a decent brand. Bose is the only speaker company that I've ever seen that doesn't publish ANY specs for their speakers.
Not even their top on the line 901's!
Bose is a marketing machine, nothing more.
BTW, I had a friend that had a pair of 901's in the early 80's, and in a side by side comparison with my Klipsch Heresys, my Klipsch easily blew the 901's away.

They were never a decent brand. Bose is the only speaker company that I've ever seen that doesn't publish ANY specs for their speakers.
Not even their top on the line 901's!
Bose is a marketing machine, nothing more.
BTW, I had a friend that had a pair of 901's in the early 80's, and in a side by side comparison with my Klipsch Heresys, my Klipsch easily blew the 901's away.
reply:
I have a Sony that I like. One of the top of the line models. I also have a Panasonic that is purely wimpy. You get what you pay for unless you slide into the overpriced Bose and other high end stuff.
I installed the Home stereo display at the Alexis Hotel in Las Vegas during Consumer Electronics Show years ago. 140 rooms of HIGH end stereo equipment. Digital CD, some vinyl players. They had TUBE type amplifyers and speaker systems that ran $300,000. I asked the salesman what made them worth that, and he said nothing, but rich people would pay that much.
Steve

No need to be massive, but you can get some good surround sound systems at about the price of a good three speaker system. Watching the news it does not matter, but a football or baseball game or movie is incredibly better. I don't want to give specific brands because I've not looked at them since buying mine a few years ago but take a little time and listen to one in a store. Given that you have a nice HDTV, don't hold back on the sound. Get all the enjoyment you can. Start at about $400. You can also use the system with your stereo.
nospamplse wrote:

I have a pair of KLH bookshelf speakers that have been with me since college. I'm not an audiophile but they sound good to me. The thing about speakers is size really does matter, so with a "bookshelf" or smaller speaker you really need a subwoofer to fill in the bass frequencies, otherwise it'll still sound tinny even though the sound quality over the frequency range that they work at is good.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
nospamplse wrote:

When you select a speaker, for same physical size, the heavier, the better meaning speaker has bigger magnet. If you are handy at running cables,etc. I'd get a package deal for surround AV amp and spekaers. Wire them all up, set it up, enjoy. And a remote to control everything with one touch. That's what I have. Specially remote, wife always complained with mu;tiple remote. When I gave her one remote which does it all. She is so happy now. When you run wires to the speakers watch the phasing. If they are not in phase sound will suffer.
On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 12:42:22 -0500, nospamplse

I have Athena speakers in my theater room. These speakers are low-end professional quality with nice solid connections and wall-mounting hardware. Best to hear and compare speaker sound before you buy, because it's the sound that counts. Surprisingly, Bose speakers sound like crap, outrageously priced, and I see people buying them like hotcakes. Wireless is improving but still not too good for the best sound.
Phisherman wrote:

Bose by design is very inefficient type. It needs lot of power to sound decent. I never owned Bose.
Hwang) says...

I have had a couple different Bose speaker systems. My first set was the original Acoustimass Series II stereo with passive subwoofer. I had them hooked to a pair of Eico vacuum tube amps that put out 32 RMS watts apiece. The bass was amazing, which I attribute to the 15 lb. output transformers. The tube amps finally died, but the speakers are still going strong as bedroom speakers, hooked to a Sony amp. For a while they were my TV speakers, with a pair of Optimus minis for the rear channel. I think they are somewhere around 20 years old.
My current system is a 5.1 surround sound with a powered subwoofer, hooked to an Onkyo THX certified amp. They sound OK, but the bass is not as clean as the old unpowered subwoofer. It has a tendency to be boomy. It took quite a bit of experimenting to find an acceptable combination of subwoofer gain setting and placement. I wouldn't recommend them for TV speakers unless you have a good amp.
For stand alone TV speakers, I would look at some of the high end computer speakers. If there is a 5 channel preamp out on the TV, you can get 90 watt 5.1 surround sound computer speakers pretty cheap that will do a good job of filling an average sized room.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Larry Caldwell wrote:

Don

I used a spare set of computer speakers/amplifier for mine - worked great and I have a surround sound system on the cheap.
Did the same thing out in the garage to pipe music around - worked well there too.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sennheiser-rs-140-headphones/4505-7877_7-31414067.html
Sennheiser HDR 140 is what I have. They work well... COSTCO
Rudy
Thanks.
Don